PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have feedback on gun auction/classified sites?

Chris Sweeney
04-17-2017, 09:17 AM
I have a safes full of "modern" guns I need to thin out before I move. I have several on consignment with my local gunshop, but since they get about 2 visitors a day, it may take a while for them to move, so I thought I might try the internet. I did some research, but the reviews I found for pretty much all the major sites were pretty abysmal. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with any of them?

Michael Bodner
04-17-2017, 10:17 AM
Chris,

Depending on NY State law, you might consider renting a table at a local Gun Show and selling them privately. Of course, that implies that the Show Promoter and State Law allows it, but I've been very successful in this manner.

If allowed, I would recommend going to a show sponsored by a Collectors society and be prepared to be swarmed-upon Friday night and Saturday morning during set-up by the other dealers/collectors.... So have everything price marked before you get there...

-Mike

Visit: http://smartgunlaws.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/background-checks/gun-shows/

In Colorado and New York, sellers must request background checks through licensed dealers, who are required to process the transfer (although they may charge a fee) and gun show promoters must ensure that a dealer is available at a gun show to do this.

Search the page for 'New York' for other rules on selling at shows.

Maillemaker
04-17-2017, 10:19 AM
I've used Gunbroker to arrange a face-to-face sale, and I have purchased firearms from it.

Steve

Mike McDaniel
04-17-2017, 10:21 AM
I've had very good luck with gunbroker.com. They're not too expensive, and the service is good.

Some tips:
1. Photos count. Do good, clear photos.
2. Take a look at completed auctions of items similar to what you want to sell. Find out what they actually sell for. Asking for too much money is the fastest way to not sell.
3. Reserves and minimum bids should be reasonable.

gmkmd
04-17-2017, 09:03 PM
I have extensive experience with GunBroker. I think it is the best online auction site, by far. Second best would be AuctionArms. As far as classified sites, GunsAmerica and GunsInternational seem to be OK, but I don't have much personal experience with them.
The one to stay away from seems to be ArmsList. It has a very high rate of fraudulent listings, but that is more from a buyer's standpoint rather than seller's.

buicksp39
04-17-2017, 09:04 PM
I have sold over 1000 guns on gunbroker and had very few problems. the fees are reasonable, you will have to check the laws before selling and some states are very restricted on what you can ship, stay away from Ca. they have city laws that differ from state. 3 major cities you can't even send a knife or sword r bayonet with a blade over 3"

Hal
04-18-2017, 07:38 AM
From a buyer's standpoint, I agree that the more pictures, the better, and also, a good description. The respected dealers will point out the flaws as well as the positive features in their description and take pictures of both. I've bought from both Gunbroker and Guns International. I prefer Guns International because I'm not really an auction kind of guy, but a lot of Gunbroker ads have a "Buy it Now", so it's not auction only.

From a Seller's standpoint, I can't help you. I could count on one hand the number of guns I've ever sold.:)

Lou Lou Lou
04-18-2017, 08:34 AM
Chris
For what it is worth the NYSafe act requires that all gun transfers go through an FFL. That includes long guns.

John Bly
04-18-2017, 08:44 AM
I have both bought and sold on Gunbroker and Auction Arms and have bought on Guns International. Gunbroker would be my preferred place to sell. As noted, good pictures and descriptions are essential for the best results. As noted, you will have to ship dealer to dealer from NY which increases the cost on your end.

Robt. Propst
04-18-2017, 08:50 AM
I have purchased numerous items from the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) BB. Should any of your arms fall into their categories, that might be an option. There are many avid followers on that BB.

cowrustler
04-18-2017, 09:00 AM
I've used Gunbroker a bunch and all is well if there aren't any screw-ups (which are rare). Then you find that you can't talk to a human. Eventually you'll get your refund in the case of a non-paying bidder. I've bought lots off Guns International but have never sold there as I've found auctions generally provide me with the best price. I've used Auction Arms to buy from but they have so few listings that it's not really a place I go to much. Gunbroker has reasonable fees and lots of traffic.

Eggman
04-18-2017, 09:54 AM
I have purchased numerous items from the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) BB. Should any of your arms fall into their categories, that might be an option. There are many avid followers on that BB.
Hi Bob, Saw your post here. Just wanted to make a note, I visited the York Rifles farm team, the 44th Georgia, a couple weeks ago. They have this kid - Lani Harrison, might make a great addition to the York Rifles. You may want to check it out.

stubshaft
04-18-2017, 01:23 PM
Another vote for Gunbroker. I have sold (and bought) hundreds of guns utilizing them. I can count the problem transactions on one hand and they were all with guns I was purchasing.

MR. GADGET
04-18-2017, 02:47 PM
I wish we could sell here on this site just because it is a good group of people and easy to work with people you see all the time.

That said I have had good luck with consignment at local shops from time to time and a low fee to do it.
Some will post on local forums and national forums along with gun trader or Guns america for a small extra fee.

I have been collecting for years and have several M1 Garands and M1 Carbines that in a few years will be selling. At that point I will just carry to the local stores and sell. Just dont have the time or care to deal with so many nuts that want to play 20 questions and ask for 50 pictures and do it one email at a time.

The local place I just drop them off and they tell me when I can pick up my cash or what credit I have if I want to buy something.

MR. GADGET
04-18-2017, 02:50 PM
BTW

For consignment you can cross state lines very easy and fast.

Just find someone or company you can trust and sell away.

fossilfinder
04-26-2017, 11:58 AM
It's targeted to my area (Pacific Northwest) but it's convenient and has a lot of traffic.
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/

You can mail (direct without FFL on your side) (USPS) to a Washington FFL and we can wander in, pay the transfer fee and take it home.