PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get brass barrel bands for an 1842

sherifmd
12-23-2009, 07:36 AM
I am trying to build and 1842 Palmetto musket ans was wondering if anyone knew where I coul dget brass barrel bands. The bands would be the same as for a Modle 1842, except brass.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

David Disher 12143
12-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Maybe Nick Brevort?

John Holland
12-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Mike,

The brass bands, on a Wm. Glaze, Palmetto Armory M-1842 Musket, have no external shoulders. As an example, take a look at the bands on a M-1841 "Mississippi" Rifle. You will see they have smooth sides with no external shoulder step.

Please excuse the detailed explanation if you already know this. It is given for the multitude of casual readers.

John Holland
Small Arms Committee

GPM
12-23-2009, 06:25 PM
There's a guy on e-bay that has brass m1842 front bands from time to time. They are not exactly correct ... they are stepped or shouldered as John mentioned, cast from the same mold as the steel band.
For the rear band S&S has a repro cavalry band that might work after the sling bar attatchment is removed, provided the inside diameter is the same,(not sure if the band location is the same as a musket).
For the middle band a 55 rifle front band could be used for a custom build, but if I recall is 1/16 or 1/8 narrower than an original.
Until someone produces the correct bands for a Palmetto, this is as close as I could figure. Would this be legal or not for skirmishing I can't say.
Mine remains a steel mounted version until then.