PDA

View Full Version : Gallagher

gemmer
04-14-2017, 10:30 AM
Shot my Hoyt relined Erma Gallagher yesterday for the first time. 25 yard target, six o'clock hold. First two shots on the left for group. Second three first sight adjustment. Single shot in middle second sight adjustment. Last three shots in the bull, third adjustment. Cases extract with no sticking. Excellent ignition. It probably would group even better if I didn't use bifocals and need a Merit Eye piece to see the front sight anywhere near clearly. 50 yards was just about as good.

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae279/dspyer/FullSizeRender_zpsm1aqqn8w.jpg (http://s979.photobucket.com/user/dspyer/media/FullSizeRender_zpsm1aqqn8w.jpg.html)

RaiderANV
04-14-2017, 11:06 PM
Now that my friend is right purdy......looks almost as good as a Maynard grouping! I bet you could skip the filler and shoot the same kinda group.

gemmer
04-15-2017, 08:47 AM
Now that my friend is right purdy......looks almost as good as a Maynard grouping! I bet you could skip the filler and shoot the same kinda group.

I was thought about not using filler but I was concerned about the powder possibly not being back against the touch hole of the case.

gemmer
09-11-2023, 12:16 PM
Just a card wad to hold the powder down like in Charlie Hahn's tubes?

Steve Weems
09-11-2023, 04:17 PM
Looks like You worked thru the idiosyncratic issues with your Gallagher. The Hoyt reline was the biggest and i also believe filler to base of bullet was excellent.
I forget my exact powder charge but usually used a wad similiar to the ones used in revolvers. Sorry i sold mine!

gemmer
09-11-2023, 04:23 PM
Looks like You worked thru the idiosyncratic issues with your Gallagher. The Hoyt reline was the biggest and i also believe filler to base of bullet was excellent.
I forget my exact powder charge but usually used a wad similiar to the ones used in revolvers. Sorry i sold mine!

I think I'll stick with the filler. Right now I'm playing with making my caps a bit hotter since I do get the occasional misfire or hang fire, even with RWS caps. I think the Sharps and Gallager have the same DNA!

Carolina Reb
09-12-2023, 04:23 PM
Before you try hotting up caps, you might want to consider trying some different nipples. When I got my Sharps, it had an original Sharps nipple. Even with RWS caps it misfired with maddening regularity. I replaced it with an original Springfield nipple and have had one misfire in the last 2 years, with the same caps. Accuracy improved too. I wish someone would make original spec Springfield nipples. They are hard to find these days.

gemmer
09-12-2023, 07:10 PM
Before you try hotting up caps, you might want to consider trying some different nipples. When I got my Sharps, it had an original Sharps nipple. Even with RWS caps it misfired with maddening regularity. I replaced it with an original Springfield nipple and have had one misfire in the last 2 years, with the same caps. Accuracy improved too. I wish someone would make original spec Springfield nipples. They are hard to find these days.

Do they have a big or small flash hole?

Carolina Reb
09-22-2023, 05:09 PM
Reviving an old thread here. Finally got a chance to measure the flash hole on an original Springfield nipple. It is 0.060" I suspect that the interior profile is important, as original cones do shoot better than the small flash hole modern ones with flat-ish bottoms, especially in a Sharps. A sketch is attached. 13928