PDA

View Full Version : Burnside breechblock

whitneyrifle
12-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Hi All!
I have a question. I acquired a Burnside back at the Fall Nationals, and have just gotten the floating breech block (the small block) to finally clear after soaking in Kroil for 2 months. I had just made the natural assumption that the small block was not the orginal to the main block because they were not matching serial numbers. Now when I went to reassemble, I noticed that the small block actually does have a matching number. The number matches one that is stamped to the base of the larger block. (Both are in the 14xxx's) The top of the block is in the 29xxx's and matches the number to the barrel.
So essential a long story short, the large (main) block has two diffrent serial numbers stamped into it. With this in mind, the carbine also has two cartouches. Does this mean, it was orginally approved, then sent back for repairs and approved again after intinal repairs? Could this be when the second set of numbers was stamped in? Was the use of two dirrent serial numbers even common? I have several other Burnsides and none of them have this type of serial number combination done. Was this done to mate the small block to the larege one?
Sorry for all the questions, but any answers would be appreciated!
Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

Sincerely Yours,
Bryan M. Davis
149th PVI

Eric A. Savickas, 08663V
12-20-2009, 07:16 PM
The breechblock assembly is serial numbered to the receiver. The small block is serial numbered to the big block. The two blocks are matched when the gun was produced. They are fitted to each other. All Burnsides have two cartouches (standard).

whitneyrifle
12-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Thank your for the answer for the breech blocks, that does explain the numbers, but I do have a Burnside with only one cartouch. The stock is not worn, and there is no mark for a second, that is why I am wondering why there are two.