PDA

View Full Version : Value of a couple of 1863 Springfield contract rifles?

Cav Trooper
04-09-2017, 06:09 AM
These are wall hangers, friend has a gunshop but he has no idea of value and needs to move them. Got in part of package of late model guns. I know, more info needed, just a ball park. Locks and barrels complete, one has nose cap and middle band missing. Stocks fair condition, patina on all, buttplates not stamped US. Cleaning rods fake.

Thanks

CT

RaiderANV
04-09-2017, 08:04 AM
For our needs we need more info like condition of the bore, length of barrel (if one is missing nose cap and middle ban it sounds cut down) are front and rear sights on them? Condition is everything but sounding like $450-$650 range.

Cav Trooper
04-09-2017, 04:03 PM
The stock on the one without the nose cap and middle band has not been cut. The bores are pitted, front and rear sights in tact. Locks work. Will have to inspect stocks for cracks but did not seen any at first look. Metal is all fairly heavy patina. I can get pictures of them if someone is interested in looking. One is in better overall condition than the other. Nipples are plugged and have not been removed, ie; possibly seized threads.
Thanks,
CT

John Holland
04-09-2017, 05:32 PM
As "Contract Muskets" the naming on the locks can make a big difference in value.

Cav Trooper
04-09-2017, 07:27 PM
I have pictures.Not sure how to post here or just email to whom ever is interested in looking. Both are Springfield locks, on has a refinished stock or repro? with no cartouches, both are 1863 barrels. one has a double cartouche with an AW stamped behind the trigger guard. The one that had the middle band missing, it is not but is in rough shape and does have the nose cap missing. Let me know if pictures are required. Stock with nose cap missing has some chips off the covered edges of the nose of the stock and that stock is the one with the cartouches and AW stamp. Again, unmarked butt plates ie; no US stamp.
Thanks,
CT
I'd rather email them.
PM if you want pics.