PDA

View Full Version : Winter 09 "Lube War"

J Weber 4114V
12-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Hell it is winter,Might as well get this years LUBE thread going now.It has been a while Lefty,you listining
My .02 worth
BP lube needs somthing to hold it togther.A carrier
Then it needs somthing slippery
I have used and made most of the stuff out there.
As many of them work and none are the majic X ring finding mystry lube
I use Beeswax as a carrier.Olive oil as the slippin stuff. I start with 50-50 mix and add more wax to stiffin,more oil to loosen
It works and is cheep.
BW,Neetsfoot oil and Lanolin [50-40-10% mix] works just as well.Just cost more.

OK everyone....

LUBE WAR

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
12-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Started using "GBS Lube this year. Works well in all my firearms, and through all temperture ranges we shoot in. I highly recommend it.

The Miami Valley Sutler stocks GBS in both stick and tube form.

Phil

RangerFrog
12-17-2009, 09:17 AM
I spent years hating the idea of shooting black powder because of the dread of clean-up after. :x I shot a lot of smokeless in old cartridge rifles designed for BP cartridges. 8)

When I started shooting with N-SSA, I dragged out an old batch of Emmert's Lube made of about 50% Beeswax, 40% Crisco and 10% Anhydrous Lanolin and discovered that most of that black nasty stuff stayed soft and swabbed out pretty easily from whichever gun I used it in. I pan lube my bullets as cast, so there is no need for special dies, pumps, presses, etc. I haven't had any cause to change, just harden with a little more BW or soften with a little more AH (which also helps it stick to the bullets better!) as the temperatures change. Green

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Froggie

John Holland
12-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Phil -

How's GBS work on a patched round ball?

JDH

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
12-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Haven't tried that yet John.....may try some out this Sunday....when I am out shootin' the rock !!!!!

Philo

John Holland
12-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Harrumph!

Why the very thought if it ! ! !

Practicing all winter with a Flintlock Rifle ! ! !

I'm shocked....Why it just ain't right, I tell ya!

Don't ya realize it'll change your follow through? When you go back to that ol' percussion Mississippi in the Spring, you'll lose so much time! Why, that percussion rifle will be so fast you'll still holding on target after the bird breaks!

Everybody knows that as soon as that cap busts you should have the rifle down and be loading the next round! That way you can watch where the shot goes and reload at the same time. That's how you get them 90 second Bird Boards!

Ahhh.....Wait a minute....You're not practicing with the Red Men....are you?

;-D

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
12-17-2009, 11:03 AM
John,

You can't go to a round ball match in this area without being surrounded by Red Men...gee I wonder if that has anything to do with their unprecedented success at our National skirmishes?

Philo

Charlie Hahn
12-17-2009, 12:40 PM
As we can't get whale oil any more, might I suggest you wet your patches with Jojoba Oil. It also works well as an adjuster in the musket lube. Also works as a first shot lube when a damp patch is passed through the bore before that first shot on Sunday.

Charlie Hahn

Mike Rouch 07791
12-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Phil's flinter goes off about as fast as his percussion. That's why he shoots in the winter. He's ready come spring.

MIke
110th OVI

Wayne Shaw, 1985V
12-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Phil The only thing that suroundes John in the winter is SNOW.
Merry Christmas to all Wayne Shaw

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
12-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Hey John,

Can you still see from your upstairs windows or are the drifts up over the roof?

Merry Lake Effect Christmas ol buddy

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's Battery

Tim Lyne
12-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Must still be warm up there. You'll notice John's responses are nearly immediate.

His bulletin board postings are usually completely frozen by mid January and don't thaw out enough to get posted until sometime in March.

Tim Lyne
Knap's Batt.
#2952V

Terry Davis 10639
12-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Hell it is winter,Might as well get this years LUBE thread going now.It has been a while Lefty,you listining
My .02 worth
BP lube needs somthing to hold it togther.A carrier
Then it needs somthing slippery
I have used and made most of the stuff out there.
As many of them work and none are the majic X ring finding mystry lube
I use Beeswax as a carrier.Olive oil as the slippin stuff. I start with 50-50 mix and add more wax to stiffin,more oil to loosen
It works and is cheep.
BW,Neetsfoot oil and Lanolin [50-40-10% mix] works just as well.Just cost more.

OK everyone....

LUBE WAR

I agree on the bees wax, but use synthetic motor oil at close to 50/50.
I save the olive oil for cooking.
One thing though, when heating the lube, make sure you watch it. It smokes like hell if it overheats, and can stink up the place something awful.
I have 100 hours of dog house time on my record to prove it.

J Weber 4114V
12-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Terry,the trick is to convert the doghouse into a nice enough man cave that the exile is something to look forward to!
I know others that use the Mobile 1 -BW mix. Heck I know one of the damm redshirts uses alox. but that is way to much brushing and cleaning for me

snapcap14
12-26-2009, 04:08 PM
i'm sitting here and just noticed our aloe plant has taken over the window sill. So it got me wondering how would aloe work in a lube mix. :idea:

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
12-26-2009, 05:23 PM
I've been using bear grease and beeswax for about 15 years.
Bear grease is really slick stuff. If you touch it and wipe it off your finger, you can still feel it slick on your skin hours afterward. I've tried a variety of the more popular lubes (MCM, Lens lube, etc.) and I like this better.

I realize not everyone has access to the ingredients, but one of my friends has a hive, and another shot a bear, so the best I've found is also the cheapest.

About every other year, I make up a batch and pour it into old lube tubes that I drill a hole in one cap, and insert a dowel.

I like to think I'm unique and frugal, but my wife says I'm just odd and cheap.

Yancey von Yeast, 8073
12-27-2009, 12:45 AM
Gary,

You are odd and cheap but I am more odd and cheap!

J Weber 4114V
12-27-2009, 12:57 PM
You two are pikers compared to me :lol: Ask anyone in the NWT
At our fun shoots I make everyone pull and reuse the pigeon ties and straighten the wires back out!

12-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Yancey and I may be pikers, but he is the most modest guy I've ever met. I know this because he's told me many times....

Yancey von Yeast, 8073
12-29-2009, 01:22 AM
Piker? I'm the one who has to clear the cobwebs and dust from my wallet on the extremly rare occassion that it is openend...its a German thing...

12-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Sorry, I'm Belgian (read: you lose)

In Volume 1 of the History of Wisconsin a physician screening Civil War draftees talks about the Belgians from the Green Bay area where my kin landed. He basically says they're all poor specimens, physically broken down because they're too cheap to buy plow horses, and instead do it themselves.

Beat that.

t cherry
12-29-2009, 08:07 PM
I also use bear grease in my lube. The people who have tried
my loads all like them and ask for the receipe.When I start out
with the used toilet rings that's the end of it!
Tom

JOHN O'LEARY SR 12485
12-29-2009, 11:47 PM
????HOW DO YOU FLUX YOUR WAX????????????