PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Shiloh gas seal

Cannonman1
03-04-2017, 06:24 PM
I have a vintage Shiloh Model 1863 Carbine in .54 caliber, that over the years suffered significant wear on the insertable gas seal plate (gas cutting) and I want to replace it. I have ordered and received a couple replacement seals from Shiloh that need to be machined down to get that piston fit into the breech block. I refuse to pay the price Shiloh wants for doing this but there has to be someone who can precisely cut some hard steel and do this job for a reasonable price. Anyone out there have any suggestions or referrals?? Thanks ahead of time.

bobanderson
03-05-2017, 06:41 AM
I would recommend you contact Larry Flees and have him do a "Sam Dobbin" gas check job on your Shiloh. Larry will machine a new gas check plate and chamber sleeve (don't hold me to this, Larry) which will turn your Sharps into an all day shooter.

Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll give you his contact info.

Maillemaker
03-05-2017, 05:18 PM
I second Larry Flees for his Sharps Carbine work. He did my Pedersoli and it now is perfect.

Steve

Fred Jr
03-05-2017, 08:59 PM
You could also try charlie Hahn. He does good work.

Fred

Cannonman1
03-06-2017, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the response.. Looks like there are some great craftsmen out there that can help me out. I see a refurbished Sharps in my future !!!

Bill

Cannonman1
03-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Would go there but I may end up bringing back an Edsel.. LOL

jonk
03-08-2017, 12:44 AM
I can't speak for Larry personally, though have heard nothing but great things about his work.

As for Charlie hahn, I have a big complaint. His work was too good! Now if I miss it's MY FAULT!!! :D

Cannonman1
03-08-2017, 07:57 AM
Where's Grand Marais? I was a school teacher in Dawson for three years.

Grand Marais is this little town on the north shore of Lake Superior... Basically the far and extreme tip of Minnesota where it meets Canada. I have about 15 acres bordering on State and Federal Park land and a rifle range just out my back door.. No excuses for not burning powder now and then. LOL