PDA

View Full Version : Help! M1841 Mississippi Rifle

bstormer108
02-16-2017, 10:15 PM
All,

I've been digging for information regarding a rifle I recently inherited and my search on various forums has led me to you. I've come to possess a US Model 1841 Mississippi Rifle manufactured in Philadelphia, PA by Tryon circa 1848. The bore is original 54 caliber and not loaded, however the rifling is quite faint.

Photos can be found here. (http://imgur.com/a/wffTA)

From speaking with others it seems that this rifle was manufactured for the NJ state arsenal and was never rebored to 58 cal or fitted with a bayonet lug as many were. Most seem to believe that this rifle is in fair condition with a value of around $2,000 and that seems to jive with what I'm seeing them go for online in similar condition.

Now, here are my questions:
1) I'd like to shoot this rifle and I live near Bob Hoyt. Would it affect the history or value of the rifle to have the barrel lined?
2) Would this rifle be worth more in "shootable" condition (i.e. if I had the barrel lined)?

Thanks!

Grayrock Volunteer
02-16-2017, 11:53 PM
Doing any kind of work to an original arm effects its collectors value. However, this example is a far shot from being "collector quailty", even though Tryon M1841s are among the most desirable. Having Mr. Hoyt reline the barrel would be an excellent option if you are wanting to shoot it.

Cheers,
Garrett Glover

Jack C., 69th NY
02-17-2017, 06:49 AM
You might want to ask Mr. Hoyt about re-rifling the barrel to .58 cal from .54 cal. thereby avoiding re lining. Many of the M1841s were bored out to .58 so yours might still be considered "original" modified configuration. Just a thought.
Good luck!

mike davenport
02-17-2017, 11:24 AM
I tend to disagree with the comments..... this gun looks to be in good condition and is a representation of an un modified early arm. Other than the polishing some one did on the patch box it looks untouched. That said, if it was a family heirloom, and had ties to your relatives, shoot it , clean it and display. I would not have this original barrel relined, re bored etc. if you had to shoot it on a regular basis , buy a new barrel and install it on the stock, keeping the original to return it to the original condition at a later date. These arms are "drying" up fast and there are no imports or replacements. We , as shooters and historians , need to start being better stewards of the historical artifacts we are trusted with. The need to preserve this history for later generations is or should be a concern we all keep in the forefront of our activities.
These comments are mine and not an official statement from the N-SSA or its officers.
Mike Davenport
Dismal Swamp Rangers

Jim_Burgess_2078V
02-17-2017, 12:09 PM
I agree 100% with Mike. If you reline or re-rifle the barrel for shooting you will probably need to mess with the sights as well. You will be investing more money in the gun and at the same time diminishing its market value as a collectible and as a shooter. Mike's recommendation to get a separate barrel that you can switch with the original barrel is very sound advice.

Jim Burgess, 15th Conn. Vol. Inf.

John Holland
02-17-2017, 03:00 PM
Bstormer - You have received some very sound advice from both Mike Davenport and Jim Burgess. Both of these individuals are highly respected in the N-SSA.

bstormer108
02-17-2017, 04:15 PM
Thank you all very much for the advice. One of the first individuals that I spoke with recommended fixing it up to be shootable and I am glad that I went with my gut and double checked before doing so. I'm going to have the rifle examined, appraised, and then it'll get oiled down and delegated to the gun safe while I explore my family history and look for possible ties.

Thanks again!

Dave Fox
02-17-2017, 06:35 PM
Although it hasn't been mentioned, have you tried shooting this piece with a tightly patched round ball as-is? Don't know what kind of shooting is contemplated, but quite satisfying results for your purposes might result with 60 grains of FFFg, .525 or .530 diameter balls, and pillow ticking patching.

bstormer108
02-20-2017, 07:56 PM
I have not tried shooting it yet. I went to have it examined and appraised today and I didn't want to shoot it before I knew more about it. I'd love to shoot it but the bore has seen better days and the rifling is just about gone. Do you think it'd be worth giving it a shot? (Pun intended..)

ian45662
02-21-2017, 12:10 PM
you may be able to find an original barrel that is not on any gun. Re-line it and use it and put the barrel that came with it away for safe keeping

Dave Fox
02-21-2017, 01:48 PM
Dunno yet what kind of shooting is contemplated, but it sounds like the owner just wants the experience of touching the thing off. Hoyt liners, spare barrels, etc seem a lot of bother and are causing a deal of anticipatory anguish if he simply wants to fire the thing. If this is so, he should just load it up, pointed it at a target, and have at it. A tightly patched ball would likely result in satisfactory accuracy at 50 yards. Doesn't sound like he's going for a trophy...or a trophy buck. Just sayin'.

ian45662
02-21-2017, 02:14 PM
Just throwing out some ideas. Very nice looking rifle by the way. I am jealous

John Bly
02-21-2017, 05:56 PM
Give that barrel a good cleaning and try a patched round ball. That's what 54 Mississippi rifles were made for. If there is enough rifling to spin the ball it might shoot better than expected. Those patched balls will actually help clean the barrel even further.

John Holland
02-21-2017, 07:26 PM
A patched round ball out of a smoothbore is nothing you would want to sell short, either!

gemmer
02-21-2017, 07:38 PM
Dunno yet what kind of shooting is contemplated, but it sounds like the owner just wants the experience of touching the thing off. Hoyt liners, spare barrels, etc seem a lot of bother and are causing a deal of anticipatory anguish if he simply wants to fire the thing. If this is so, he should just load it up, pointed it at a target, and have at it. A tightly patched ball would likely result in satisfactory accuracy at 50 yards. Doesn't sound like he's going for a trophy...or a trophy buck. Just sayin'.

My '41 was previously owned by Doc Chambers. It came to me with a Hoyt .577 reline and is in very nice shape. It shoots like a dream. If it was a shooter for him, it's good enough for me.