PDA

View Full Version : Trying to identify these two pistols.

Jsaunders
01-29-2017, 12:11 PM
I have two pistols that my father used to Skirmish with back in the 90s that I'm trying to get information on. I haven't had much luck searching online so I thought I'd try here.

Best I can gather is both are Gardone and Brescia repros, by the PN stamp and Date stamps BC and BD, 93 and 94.

Style and caliber are completely unknown to me thou. I believe they are both Remington New Navy, but not 100%
I'll attach images below.

Thanks in advance!

Mike McDaniel
01-29-2017, 12:56 PM
They're both Remington repros. Check the barrels for markings under the loading lever, at least one of those looks like a Tom Ball trigger.

Jsaunders
01-29-2017, 02:05 PM
Under the level, on bottom of the barrel each just has the serial and ball accuracy, 0995 for the wood grip one and 0396 for the ivory grip pistol.

Curt
01-29-2017, 04:22 PM
Hallo!

Interesting.

It looks like an M1863 Navy but with a Remington-Rider "New Model" belt revolver's special ordered fluted cylinder (fluted cylinders pop up early in production as an experiment to lighten the weight as Colt had tried with the M1860.)

The Remington-Rider 'New Model' has a larger trigger guard than the M1863's due to its being double-action.

I did not know or missed, that the Italians had repro'd one (fluted cylinder).

Curt

Mike McDaniel
01-29-2017, 07:06 PM
Under the level, on bottom of the barrel each just has the serial and ball accuracy, 0995 for the wood grip one and 0396 for the ivory grip pistol.
OK. These are revolvers worked over by the late Tom Ball. He was one of the best revolver gunsmiths. Not sure if he was using Uberti or Pietta guns, but when he got done, he had completely rebuilt them. New barrel, cylinder line bored, etc. Very accurate pieces.

Jsaunders
01-29-2017, 07:15 PM
Thank you for the information. Now I'm really glad I never sold them at a random gun show. I'd much rather they end up with someone that would appreciate and use them.

jonk
01-29-2017, 09:39 PM
Thank you for the information. Now I'm really glad I never sold them at a random gun show. I'd much rather they end up with someone that would appreciate and use them.

Well if you decide to sell them, given that N-SSA members are well aware of Mr. Ball's workmanship, certainly someone here would appreciate and use them.