PDA

View Full Version : Seized nipple in Pottsdam

Paul L
01-13-2017, 05:58 PM
Hi Folks,

I am putzing with a Potsdam musket, and have fixed everything except getting the original nipple out. I have the barrel soaking in PB Blaster now. Would there be a better option than PB Blaster? Also, I have read other threads on here about similar issues, and I understand the heat thing. Question though....do you heat the nipple, or the bolster area? One thread said to heat the screw (which was stuck) and touch beeswax to it so it would seep in.....should I try that also with this nipple?

I don't want to torque on it to much to break, That's what I am afraid of. The shoulders of the nipple are already rounded slightly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Paul
15th VA Cavalry

Michael Bodner
01-13-2017, 07:33 PM
In general, when you're trying to remove a stuck screw using heat, you heat the surrounding area (in this case, the bolster) so that it expands. Don't go crazy with the heat, but don't tickle it either...

Expect the PB Blaster to burn off as soon as you hit it with the torch, but it will go quickly.

Once you master the skill of removing seized screws/nuts with heat, you'll wonder why you ever struggled before....

If you don't overheat the metal (and thereby damage the temper) you can try it over and over...

Be sure to clamp the barrel in a vise (use hard wood or leather to protect it from the jaws) and get a dang good grip on the nipple. You might want to try the back-end of a 1/4-inch socket. You want the get torque on it without stressing/stripping the gripping surface...

Good luck!!

-Mike

John Holland
01-13-2017, 07:45 PM
Regarding the Potsdam, please be aware that the musket is a conversion from flint lock. The bolster has been added by being screw mounted and brazed to the barrel, so don't put too much heat or torque on the bolster.

jonk
01-13-2017, 09:24 PM
Something else you could try if all else fails... get one of those broken screw remover kits. Cut the top off the nipple and use the kit. It reverse threads so as you tighten it it will eventually loosen the stuck part.

wormey
01-13-2017, 10:38 PM
Rule #1 when using heat....MAKE SURE IS IT NOT LOADED! Many of them are! Don`t ask me how I know!

RaiderANV
01-14-2017, 12:39 AM
Ummmmmmm.......How do you know?

WHAT???? All of you are wondering the same thing! 😁

Wayne Shaw, 1985V
01-14-2017, 02:24 AM
Paul Use heat, heat the bolster area don't be shy. Using a 3/8th or 10MM Wrench (what ever fits the best. ) turn it out! I use a 3/8 drive socket upside down. Find a 3/8 drive socket that fits an allen wrench that lets you grab all the sides of the nipple. Good luck! This will work as having removed at least a dozen or more that way. Wayne Shaw Harlans Light Cav 223 CV 1985V National IG & SAC

snapcap14
01-14-2017, 04:11 PM
Paul Use heat, heat the bolster area don't be shy. Using a 3/8th or 10MM Wrench (what ever fits the best. ) turn it out! I use a 3/8 drive socket upside down. Find a 3/8 drive socket that fits an allen wrench that lets you grab all the sides of the nipple. Good luck! This will work as having removed at least a dozen or more that way. Wayne Shaw Harlans Light Cav 223 CV 1985V National IG & SAC
use kroil oil let it soak in a few days

Paul L
01-20-2017, 08:52 AM
Thanks for all the responses! This is a big help :)

I was out of town for the last week, and will work on this project this weekend. I will let you all know if I was successful or not (fingers crossed).

Thanks again!

Paul L
15th Virginia Cavalry

Paul L
02-04-2017, 05:57 PM
Well, here is an update. It's not going as well as I had hoped.

Soaked in Kroil oil, applied heat.....tried to get the nipple to turn and it broke. Not a big problem, I thought....so I got the Easy-Out set. Well, it wasn't so easy to get out! I felt something break loose and got excited that the nipple was finally turning. Not to be....the part of the nipple above the threads broke loose. So now, I have the threaded part of the nipple still in the bolster.

Does anyone have ideas on how to handle this problem? Would any of the sutlers (John Bly, Whitacre, Lodgewood) be able to take care of this? I'm out of ideas.

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions!

Paul
15th Virginia Cavalry

Carolina Reb
02-04-2017, 07:20 PM
OK, here's the nuclear option. You already have this first part done, but I'll describe it anyway. Get a dremel grinder and a couple diamond tips (carbide won't last). Very carefully grind off the cone down to the flange where it seats against the barrel (this part is already gone on yours). With the flange gone, sometimes an easy-out will get out what's left. 50-50 it won't work. Here's the hard part. Very carefully start grinding out the cone working from the flash channel out in spiral passes so that the flash channel gets gradually larger. The cone will turn into gray dust, which you need to clean out often. You want to grind to the point where you just cut into the base of the threads. You can see a darker spiral appear in the metal as you hit the threads. Once you see that spiral, stop grinding. Using a dental pick, or very dull Exacto #11 blade, peel the nipple threads out of the bolster. They should come out pretty easily once you get the first little bit lifted. If you go too far you will have to install a helicoil in the bolster. When all else fails I have had very good luck doing this. However, you have to have the nerves of a surgeon (or a dentist) to pull it off.

John Bly
02-04-2017, 10:08 PM
Bear in mind that there is seldom anything so screwed up that you can't make it worse with a Dremel tool. On stubborn nipples that are no good I have found that the best way to get them out is by TIG welding a hex nut over the cone part. Let it cool completely. The heat from welding is dissipated thru the threads and tends to break up and loosen the rust holding it. They generally will come out this way with a generous application of Kroil or PB Blaster. Sometimes several tries are needed if the nipple breaks. Your problem is worse now as there is nothing projecting from the bolster to weld to. It is still possible for a really good welder to build up the remaining part of the nipple without welding it to the bolster. Most likely it will need to be drilled out in a machine with some rigidity where you can get centered properly. Let me know if you want me to get it done for you. I'll need a good nipple to get the thread size.

By the way- Your Maynard is very near completion!

B P Shooter
02-04-2017, 11:15 PM
Most any good machinist could easily fix your problem. Certainly one of the listed suttlers. It will be somewhat time consuming, but easily fixed. It can be bored out oversized, rethreaded, plugged, bored the original size and threaded likewise. That would be worst case scenario. However, It might be as simple as boring another hole in the nipple and trying the easy-out once again.

Good luck.

Charlie Hahn
02-05-2017, 02:36 PM
Hi,

Here is my phone number, 410-208-4736. I machine these out if you haven't gotten it. I do not recommend the hand work and Dremel at this time on this. You do not want to get to the point where you need a heli-coil.

Regards

Charlie Hahn

Timmeu
02-05-2017, 02:42 PM
I recommend Charlie and his work! He is one of the best!

Rob FreemanWBR
02-05-2017, 06:42 PM
Ditto Marty

jonk
02-06-2017, 12:40 AM
If the home fixes of moderate heat, kroil, and an easy-out didn't do it, at this point I agree: turn it over to Charlie or any other good machinist or gunsmith, and let them do it up right. You don't want to booger up a gun that's worth a decent amount of coin just by trying to be cheap.

I see you are in MI. Eric Schuessler of Hinckley Gun Works also does good work, if you want a second option. By his own admission, getting stuck bolts and screws out is his specialty. He lives in Ohio. Not that I don't vouch for Charlie's work; I do! He did a great job rebuilding a lock for me recently. Just that ohio is close and you could probably either bring it yourself or mail it fairly cheaply from MI. PM me if you want his contact info.

Paul L
02-14-2017, 09:03 PM
I sent the barrel to John Bly so he could work his magic. He has done work for me in that past and I have always been satisfied, so we shall see what happens in this case. I just know when I have reached my limit on certain things, and this was one of them. I certainly did not want to screw it up!

Jonk, I would be interested in the contact info for Eric Schuessler. Since he is just a state away that could come in handy in the future.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!!!

Paul
15th Virginia cavalry

John Bly
02-21-2017, 06:03 PM
Got that nipple thread fixed. It was a tough one. When I got the last remnants out the top two threads were in bad shape leaving only about 1 1/2 threads holding the nipple in place. I made a thread insert and installed it. I had to make a tap 1st to make the insert. If anyone is interested the thread size of the nipple is 8.5mm diameter x 1.5mm pitch.