PDA

View Full Version : load conversion from 2f to 3 f black powder

Bob Seng, 10979
01-12-2017, 11:11 AM
Can't remember what the load conversion table is. What would be equivilant of 24 grains of 2f be in 3f powder.

Thanks

Eggman
01-12-2017, 11:35 AM
Every once in a while there's a question on here that strongly agitates my poor grey cells. This is one.
Load conversion -- to get the same velocity/fps?
to get the same, or less, or more breach pressure?
to get same/less fouling?
In my sheltered life I've never heard of a conversion table for 2f/3f.

Bob Seng, 10979
01-12-2017, 11:56 AM
Switch from 2f to 3f....how much or less powder is need to equal velocity/fps

Maillemaker
01-12-2017, 12:00 PM
What I have heard is that you can use about 10%-15% less 3F for an "equivalent" load of 2F.

But this is probably a gross generalization. It will give you a starting point for a load workup, and that's it.

And like Jim said, "equivalent" in what way? Fouling? Velocity? Accuracy? For me accuracy is what really matters. You can probably get equivalent accuracy with either powder with any given gun and bullet but you will have to experiment to confirm.

Then there are people who will say that certain kinds of guns prefer one granulation size over the other in terms of fouling and complete combustion. I have not experimented with this but it sounds reasonable to me.

Personally I want to simplify things as much as possible so I shoot 3F in everything. But I am going to experiment one more time with 2F in my P58 since I one time got a fantastic group in a load workup using it.

Steve

Bob Seng, 10979
01-12-2017, 12:06 PM
Thanks for input appreciate it

Jim Wimbish, 10395
01-12-2017, 01:06 PM
I used to switch back and forth between 3f and 2f in my muskets and found that I needed to add 3 grains to the 2f load for a 43 grain 3f load equivalent. I don't think that this formula is linear and you will still need around 3 grains for loads in the 20's and 30's. The factor works out to .934 for converting 2f to 3f. with my musket loads. Again, I'm not sure that this will translate to cartridges and lighter loads. I weigh all of my charges, I don't use volume measures. Also, since 2f doesn't have as sharp a pressure spike you may have issues getting thick skirted minies to open up with 2f.

Eggman
01-12-2017, 01:56 PM
This brings to mind Sam Fadala's research for the "Buckskin Report" in the 80's. The finding that most sticks in the mind is the fact that past a certain point any velocity increases attained become marginal as more and more powder is added. Once you enter the astronomical range, breach failure starts raising it's ugly head. Be skeptical of any advantage to be gained once you're crowding the 100 grain mark in most guns 50 cal on up. If I get ambitious I'll go upstairs and see if I can find Sam's data on this.

jonk
01-12-2017, 02:22 PM
I'd be less interested in equivalents in terms of velocity or pressure and more interested in best accuracy; and for that you just have to do your due diligence and see what experiments bear out. May be that 2f and 3f don't correlate for you at all. May be that they do. I know I have one gun that shoots 48 gr of 3f just great, but I have to jump to 70 gr of 2f to get it to group well.

John Robey
01-14-2017, 11:49 AM
Bobby,
In my Smith 35gr of FFg grouped the same as 28 gr of FFFg. Goex powder.

snapcap14
01-14-2017, 03:56 PM
Can't remember what the load conversion table is. What would be equivilant of 24 grains of 2f be in 3f powder.

Thanks
for me going from 3ff to 2ff. I need to add 10% that gives me the same group and point of aim. I do not know what vol/ pres diff is.