PDA

View Full Version : Percussion M1817 Common Rifle

Grayrock Volunteer
01-11-2017, 10:21 PM
US M1817 Common Rifle by Nathan Starr and Sons, dated 1841 with a drum percussion alteration. Rifle is in good overall condition and has great potential as a skirmish gun. At some point this gun saw service as a civilian deer rifle and was at that time modified by removing the barrel bands and pinning the barrel to the stock. Ramrod pipes were also installed. The middle band step was sanded down flush with the rest of the forearm. The gun has been restored (not by me) by removing the ramrod pipes and barrel pins. The barrel bands and springs have been reinstalled. I believe the bands to be original, but the springs are likely new, or donors from an unknown gun. The middle band spring is a bit large and makes it difficult to pass the middle band over it, so I have left it off for the time being. The ramrod appears to be original, but has no threads and the brass head has broken off/been removed. The bore looks to be original .54 caliber, but is shot out to roughly .56 caliber. Some rifling remains, but it is pretty faint. There is a piece of wood replaced behind the rear band, and a small touch of wood filler in a small knot hole behind the replaced wood. The restoration work is well done, and minimally visible when the barrel bands are installed. Fortunately when originally modified, the ramrod pipes were placed in the position of the barrel bands. The drum looks to be a more modern replacement and is in excellent condition and ready to go. The sights are original as well. Relined this would make a great shooter. The wood is in good shape with a nice medium tone and partially visible inspector cartouches on the stock flat. Interestingly enough the barrel has an accidental set of proofs on the bottom of the barrel.

Price: $750

Pictures are having problems uploading, so message me with an email address and I will send some out directly until I can get photos to upload here.

Thank you,
Garrett Glover

Grayrock Volunteer
01-19-2017, 12:45 PM
Bump to top.
I would also consider trades for other US percussion alterations, Hall Rifles, or European imports.

Thanks,
Garrett

Grayrock Volunteer
02-24-2017, 12:16 PM
Bump.

Thanks,
Garrett Glover

2kycav
02-24-2017, 02:07 PM
Hello.....you care to send me some pics?.......also, what preference in trades are you interested in?.......thanks.......
jkmando3@yahoo.com
Text 304 654 3227

Grayrock Volunteer
03-10-2017, 04:17 PM
Rifle is sold. Thanks for your interested. Moderators, you may close or delete this thread.

Thank you,
Garrett Glover