PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Question

RangerFrog
12-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Does anybody make a "drop-in" barrel assembly for an original 1861 Springfield musket? I'd appreciate pricing, contact info, etc.

TIA ~ Froggie

John D 2nd Va Vol Inf
12-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Froggie-go to links - mcheck out Whitacre Barrels. JD

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
12-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Call Bob Hoyt at 717 642 6696. I believe he has a few new barrels on the shelf.

Jim Brady
Knap's Battery

R. McAuley 3014V
12-06-2009, 07:19 PM
You specifically looking for a reproduction over an original barrel? Unless your original musket is in like new or pristine condition, you may want to find a original barrel with a finish matching what you have rather than a new-looking repro? Of course, it's you money.

http://www.lodgewood.com/consigne.htm

RangerFrog
12-06-2009, 08:21 PM
To make the story a little more complete... I have access to a musket that is documented in our family since "the recent unpleasantness." While I would like to campaign it some for the sake of history and my own satisfaction, if I do decide to campaign it heavily, I don't want to put that wear and tear on the barrel and old nipple. I figured it would be safer all around to start with new, but then again, I'm a newbie at this, so I'm open for advice. Thanks for the leads so far!

Froggie

R. McAuley 3014V
12-06-2009, 09:47 PM
We have a old double-barrel percussion shotgun bearing the initials of my great-grandfather, a trooper with the 3rd Texas Cavalry that hasn't been shot in a century and is really no more than a relic today. But other than for display purposes, I would never consider taking it out to use even if it were functional simply upon account that if anything happened to it, once its damaged, while the arm might be repairable, any sentimental value is not easily replaced. There are plenty of usable original muskets that don't typically carry such sentimental value that you might like to use and keep your ancestor's musket at home and maintained so to pass on to the next generation to appreciate. You and I are merely custodians and it's up to us to keep and preserve a piece of family history for our posterity.