PDA

View Full Version : Hy Hunter Italian made 1863 Springfield Carbine

jbusmc84
12-31-2016, 04:36 PM
Hello, I purchased a Hy Hunter 1863 Springfield Carbine. The Serial# is HHH 366.. It was engraved (on the patch box)for WM.L. Martin II Sacramento Dist. December 1962. The Lock plate, hammer and nipple bolster are not case hardened. The Lock plate is shiny silver. It has an Eagle and," Springfield 1863" stamped under the Eagle. Can anyone tell me anything about this rifle? It is .58 caliber. It has Roman Numeral XVIII a cartouche with a star above it, PN with a star above it and FINITO with a star above it. The breech plug tang has a cartouche stamped on it. Inside the trigger guard is 366. I am trying to find any information about this rifle. Thanks for any help you can give. Johnny Ray 252-342-0666

Bruce Cobb 1723V
01-02-2017, 09:29 AM
Your rifle was made in Italy in the 1960's. Is not a reproduction of any Civil War issued gun. They were marketed here for dear hunters and have a very short stock for ease of movement in the woods. They did make a nice reproduction Civil War rifle but it has a 33 barrel. I think the model you have is based on that one a Civil War 1863 Remington Zouave which is a 58 cal, brass mounted, 2 band rifle and patch box.

jbusmc84
01-02-2017, 10:51 AM
Your rifle was made in Italy in the 1960's. Is not a reproduction of any Civil War issued gun. They were marketed here for dear hunters and have a very short stock for ease of movement in the woods. They did make a nice reproduction Civil War rifle but it has a 33 barrel. I think the model you have is based on that one a Civil War 1863 Remington Zouave which is a 58 cal, brass mounted, 2 band rifle and patch box.

Thank you for your input. I put this rifle next to my 3 Band Springfield and the stock is identical in size and contours. You are right, it is a 2 band. I did some research and found some information. This carbine was made in Italy. The first production rifles were crafted by Master gun makers. This rifle is number 366. It was crafted by a Master craftsman and he marked the barrel with his mark.

If this rifle is not a reproduction of an actual CW rifle, could I get approval to use it for skirmishing? It is identical in dimension to my J.P. Murray. It takes 6 lbs. of pressure to pull the trigger. It has a massive barrel! The thickness of the steel is double of my 1863 3 Band Springfield. Who could answer my questions? Thank you again for your help. Johnny Ray

Muley Gil
01-03-2017, 09:28 AM
I believe we are talking about two different arms here. Navy Arms used to import the Buffalo Hunter, a shortened Zouave with the brass patchbox and a short forearm.

jbusmc84, does this carbine have a full stock? What is the barrel length? Can you post pictures?

RaiderANV
01-03-2017, 10:11 AM
Hy Hunter also imported a few of the Buffalo carbines. It is not allowed in N-SSA matches. Its a fantasy gun made up from regular "Zouaves"

Bruce Cobb 1723V
01-03-2017, 06:55 PM
I think we need pictures ...... Where does it say HY HUNTER? There should be a lot more stamped information on the barrel.

Curt
01-03-2017, 07:13 PM
Hallo!

Pictures would help.

I am not recalling any "Springfield" before the 1974 Navy Arms version. And the description does not match Navy Arm's
"Buffalo Hunter" ("sporterized" 'Zouave').

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/Michael1787/Michael1787001/buffalo%20hunter_zpsjllbcggb.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Michael1787/media/Michael1787001/buffalo%20hunter_zpsjllbcggb.jpg.html)

Curt