PDA

View Full Version : 1851 London Navy revolvers-approved by n-ssa ???

jrelouhess
12-31-2016, 01:50 PM
Please advise if:
Uberti 1851 London Navy Revolver or
Pietta 1851 London Navy Revolver are approved by n-ssa
Thanks
Jmaie Hess 1st Maine Hvy Art

Paul Lampman 263V
12-31-2016, 03:45 PM
http://www.n-ssa.org/s/Approved-Arms-by-Maker-and-Importer-01-01-16.doc

jrelouhess
01-01-2017, 10:59 AM
Paul,
Thanks I have looked but do not see them (but from Dixie Gun Works, it dose state Uberti N/SSA APPROVED (how is displayed). I am not sure and would like to buy one. If there are any suggestions, will be appreciated.

John Holland
01-01-2017, 02:19 PM
jrelouhess - The listing on the N-SSA Approved Arms List, and the additional cross reference list of Approved Arms by Maker and Importer, both show the Pietta 1851 Colt Navy "Yank" model as being approved. That is the standard Colt 1851 Navy with a brass back strap and trigger guard. That same version is what is approved for the Uberti replica of the Colt 1851 Navy.

The "London" Colt 1851 Navy is the version with an iron back strap and trigger guard. The reason it is not on the N-SSA's Approved Arms Lists is simply because a sample has never been submitted by or on behalf of either manufacturer. The reason you see names such as "Dixie Gun Works", etc. behind the approved arms listings is because those are the companies who actually submitted the arm to the N-SSA for inspection and approval. It is a courtesy to them for their efforts.

I would see no apparent reason why an individual could not submit a Pietta, or Uberti. replica of the London Colt 1851 Navy for a "Small Arms Individual Approval". Meaning it would be inspected by the Small Arms Committee, or a representative thereof, and if it meets the basic standards of a Colt 1851 London Navy Model it will then be issued a Small Arms Card allowing it to be used in the N-SSA's competitive matches.

I hope this has successfully answered your questions!

John Holland
Small Arms Committee