PDA

View Full Version : The Murphy Collection of Confederate Arms....Going, Going, and Soon To Be Gone!

Southron Sr.
12-26-2016, 03:30 PM
The following is from the current issue of Man at Arms magazine, Page 8:

"JOHN MURPHY COLLECTION

We have been informed that the Murphy Confederate Longarms Collection, which was given to the Greensboro History Museum and has been on display every since, will be taken off of display permanently in June of 2017, so if you want to see it before it disappears, you might want to plan on getting out there. We have been told that there is a new curator...sigh"

Now the Murphy Collection is one of the finest collections of Confederate Longarms in existence. No longer displaying the collection would be a tragedy. I am fairly certain that the late Dr. John Murphy would have never donated his collection to the museum IF he had known that one day, it would be taken off display and consigned to storage, never to be seen again by the public.

http://greensborohistory.org/exhibits/murphy-confederate-firearms

I ask all Skirmishers to write the Curator and request that the Murphy Collection be left on permanent display.

Jon B. Zachman, Curatoir
Greensboro Historical Museum
300 West Washington Street
Greensboro, N.C.

I would also urge all Skirmishers to stop by Greensboro, when and if they get the chance, and visit the Greensboro Museum and see Murphy Collection when it is on display.

THANK YOU!

Southron Sr.
12-26-2016, 06:37 PM
The correct address of the Greensboro Historical Museum is:

Greensboro Historical Museum ATTN: Curator
130 Summit Avenue
Greensboro, N.C. 27401

Please write to the Curator at that address requesting that the Murphy Collection remain on display.

THANKS!

RaiderANV
12-26-2016, 07:23 PM
Don't read to much into this. It will be taken off permanent display. When Bill Morre secured the donation the museum did not have room for it. It was set up and has been in the same spot ever since. This area was for special TEMPORARY displays. The museum needs the space for its original intended purpose. The collection will be back from time to time and some possibly loaned for display.

What would be better is if someone undertook a fundraiser to add an addition to the museum for the permanent display/housing of the collection.

hobbler
12-27-2016, 07:03 PM
Yep, money talks.
For example, if the CSA was holding trillions in US debt instruments the collection wouldn't get replaced by an Asian cultural diversity exhibit.
:rolleyes:

RaiderANV
12-28-2016, 01:02 PM
I hear ya but unfortunately the museum has an obligation to its original purpose of showcasing as much as it can to help preserve, display and educate generations.

The Murphy Collection doesn't have the draw it once did. the museum needs to make money to continue for the future. Again,,,,,anyone wanting to spearhead a fundraiser to add an addition I'll be the first to donate.

Southron Sr.
01-05-2017, 08:43 PM
I worked for a museum for over a decade, and because of what I saw, I have rather low opinions Curators. Hopefully, the new Curator in Greensboro will be a good, conscientious Curator.

First of all, the collection needs to be cared for. I have seen Curators stash items in storage and then completely neglect them. In one instance, I saw a Curator give away an item because she felt it did not "belong" in the museum's collection!

Will the arms in the Murphy Collection be cared for following the Harpers Ferry protocols developed for antique arms on display at National Parks? That is what I mean when I say want the arms to be cared for.

As for "room," to display the arms...IF the Greensboro Museum feels it does not have "room" to display the arms, then they need to loan them to a museum that will care for them and display them.

Those arms in the Murphy Collection need to be on display somewhere and not rusting away in the basement of a museum.

John Holland
01-05-2017, 11:02 PM
My late Father, among other things, was an Archaeologist and through him I had many and diverse experiences with museums. I will tell you they are not to be trusted with care "in perpetuity" with anyone's valued historic relics or artifacts.......EVER! A simple change in Directors will cause a museum to deaccess artifacts they have held and preserved for decades. With that being said, I would be more than happy to give the Greensboro Museum my name as a potential buyer in the event they decide to reduce their inventory of the Dr. Murphy Collection!

Dan Mastin
01-06-2017, 08:50 AM
John is spot on. In the 6 years I lived in Philadelphia there were 2 instances where museum employees stole CW items that they then sold to dishonest collectors or dealers. In one case it was a janitor an individual had developed a friendship with, who carried out over a million dollars of CW collectables and sold them to his "buddy"for pennies on the dollar. Most, but not all, were recovered in the buyers garage.
Once things go off display and are put in storage they are more vulnerable to theft. Out of sight, out of mind.

As for iron clad wills, forget it. A few miles north of Philly a family willed their property to a small local college to be used as a turn of the century working living history farm. Years went by with no issues until a local developer decided the woodlot, separated from the main property by a 2 lane road, would be a great place to build 10 or 15 big homes. To make a long story short, in spite of local opposition, lawyers, and studies showing the area was prone to flooding, the woodlot was sold and developed. A couple of years later it did flood with significant damage. So much for iron clad wills, if there is enough $$$$ involved............................

Dan Mastin