PDA

View Full Version : Gallagher Help

Tom W. / McGregors 2nd
12-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Need some help from the Gallagher experts out there. I picked up an original a while ago and am looking for some help in getting it up and running. Bore is in great shape and was slugged at .535. Biggest question I have is what type of bullet does this carbine like? And what is a good starting point for a powder charge? Also any other info ya feel like passing along would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

See YA Later
Tom Warabak 3490V
McGregors 2nd Battery

Mike McDaniel
12-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Apostate! Heretic! You know the Holy Church of the Maynard is the One True Carbine!

Tom W. / McGregors 2nd
12-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Sir Mike,

No worries, My beliefs and zen like devotion to my Maynard have not waivered. (As you are well aware the Maynard in question is a one of a kind museum quality piece. OK, maybe not museum quality but it really is one of a kind. And I have been told, that in the right light, you can almost see a bit of original bluing on the bottom side of the hammer!! Truly a gem!!)

Just to set the record straight. I had asked the question because, although early in the season, the cabin fever blaas started and I felt a need to free the Gallagher from its gun safe prison, even if just for a weekend pass. I was even more convinced, after mortgaging my house to get some brass for it, That it needs to be shot...at least once.

For those of you sharing my concern for freeing the Gallagher...... any info to help get a load/bullet combo for it would be greatly appreciated.

RaiderANV
12-07-2009, 01:15 PM
:arrow:
Apostate! Heretic! You know the Holy Church of the Maynard is the One True Carbine!

SEE JIM MULLIGAN,,,,,this is what it takes to get thru those
Pearly Gates :idea:

paul w/McGregor's 385V
12-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Tom,
The very few whom I have known in my years of skirmishing that have managed to be successful with the Gallagher, all used a round ball.

Sell it and buy a decent Sharps.

Take care and be safe
pfb

12-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Rapine does make a mold of the original Gallagher bullet. It's a heeled bullet, with the grease groove on the heeled base. I can't recall offhand what the size is, though.
I have seen variability in the brass, in terms of the internal diameter at the mouth. Some will readily admit the heeled base of the bullet, but others are too tight and have to be bored out a tad.
The easiest load to use is a groove-diameter round ball, just tapped into the mouth of the case. Commonly used charges range from 25 to 35 grains, with filler on top as needed. The round balls can give good accuracy at 50 yards, but not often at 100 yards.
Many Gallagher shooters report ignition problems. Some solve this by using CCI caps, which are much hotter than the others. Another trick is to put some firm lube in the dimple at the base of the case, which makes a better gas seal. Some open the flash hole a tad.
Be wary when shooting an original Gallagher; With many of the less popular carbines of the Civil War, their failure was more due to inconsistency of ammunition specs and quality than due to their intrinsic design. But the Gallaghers also had a high rate of mechanical failure due to poor quality of its parts (broken screws, levers, etc.)

Mike McDaniel
12-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Tom,
The very few whom I have known in my years of skirmishing that have managed to be successful with the Gallagher, all used a round ball.

Sell it and buy a decent Sharps.

Take care and be safe
pfb

Paul, if Tom bought a Sharps, he would still be an apostate. And we would still have to either burn him at the stake or deny him beer at the Nationals.

Tom W. / McGregors 2nd
12-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Hummmm, With the threat of no beer at Nationals hanging over my head I have decided that the continued use of the little carbine that could is the proper choice. No worries Mike, A Maynard it be. But with the info that Glenn passed along I can now go and breath a little life into the Gallagher.

I was thinking. This looks like a win win situation to me. Gallagher comes out of the safe, at least for a few shots, and malted beverages will be consumed at the Nationals...and at times prior. Life is good. Thanks guys!!

Sorry Paul. I guess it will be up to you and John to be our teams Sharps spokesmen. It looks like there will not be a Sharps in my future....near future.....well maybe someday...ya know, I kinda like the Shilos'....Mike!!! help!!! its starting again. Damn gun addiction....intervention time.

Thanks for the help

See YA Later
Tom

S.Sullivan
12-18-2009, 08:21 PM
One further thing to consider, extractor. There is none.
I shot an original, briefly, when I was with the now defunct 104th Illinois.
On the line with nerves, tension, toil, sweat and tears all playing a hand it was often VERY difficult to remove a spent brass cartridge case.
I went Sharps.
S.Sullivan

Mike McDaniel
12-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Tom, the only way to treat the gun addiction is to buy more. I just bought another original Maynard - with a minty bore. Investment.

mwmoore10261
12-19-2009, 08:44 AM
I have an Erma Werke Gallagher, relined with a slow twist barrel using original style brass. I shoot a Rapine .540 300 grain bullet, the one discussed with the wide lube groove at the heel. I don't size, I figure that's the job of the rifling. I use 28 grains 3F with 1/8 teaspoon cornmeal filler. I place a small punched out piece of cigarette paper in the bottom of the case before loading powder. I made an extractor out of sheet brass. It took about 10 minutes with my drill press, fortsner bits and files to make one. It works if you have the cases with the ring indentation near the breech end. If you have a stuck case you place the 5/8 inch hole in the sheet brass over the case, slide sideways to engage the 1/2 hole in the ring and pull the case out of the barrel. You Gallagher shooters, let me know if there is a market for my extractor. I now shoot 2 original Maynards, one sighted in for 50 yards and the other for 100.
Michael Moore, 10261, St Mary's Light Infantry