PDA

View Full Version : CS artillery kepi

major dixie
12-21-2016, 05:04 PM
There are offered all red CS artillery kepis WITHOUT a navy blue or black band.

Does anybody know if this is historically correct like the one WITH band?

Muley Gil
12-22-2016, 08:23 AM
On page 170 of Echoes of Glory-Confederate, there is a picture of a all red kepi that was worn by a NC artillery officer.

Grayrock Volunteer
12-22-2016, 10:26 AM
The red cap pictured in Echoes of Glory is an oilcloth cap, not wool. I have never seen an original solid red (woolen) cap. I suppose there COULD be one somewhere, but basing your impression on "maybe" and "might haves" is a poor excuse for authenticity. The vast majority of Confederate officers' caps (and enlisted mens') are made of grayish cloth, and may or may not have trim. The reproduction cap pictured in the original post is a poor quality reproduction as well. If you are in the market for quality reproduction cap I recommend Fred Adolphus, Don Smith, and Greg Starbuck. If you are just looking to have a cool red trimmed CS kepi made, consider a late war Richmond Depot kepi made with English cloth like the one I have attached.

Cheers,
Garrett

major dixie
12-22-2016, 10:47 AM
The red cap pictured in Echoes of Glory is an oilcloth cap, not wool. I have never seen an original solid red (woolen) cap. I suppose there COULD be one somewhere, but basing your impression on "maybe" and "might haves" is a poor excuse for authenticity. The vast majority of Confederate officers' caps (and enlisted mens') are made of grayish cloth, and may or may not have trim. The reproduction cap pictured in the original post is a poor quality reproduction as well. If you are in the market for quality reproduction cap I recommend Fred Adolphus, Don Smith, and Greg Starbuck. If you are just looking to have a cool red trimmed CS kepi made, consider a late war Richmond Depot kepi made with English cloth like the one I have attached.

Cheers,
Garrett

Thanks for the Info!