PDA

View Full Version : Need help on identifying this Repro musket

MikeArthur
12-18-2016, 01:52 PM
3 band springfield
both stock and barrel marked with

JRA.

barrel has H after JRA. And V-- with maybe an eagle.

MR. GADGET
12-18-2016, 02:00 PM
More than likely just an euro arms that JRA defarbed and cleaned up.

They would reworking them about 5 to 10 years back.
they were also getting the kits from euro arms then building them from the kit and doing all the finish work.

Hoyt was doing some rifling on the blank barrels at times also.
But the barrels were just stock euro arms.

JRA stands for James River Armory.

They are still into arms but moved to rebuilding and refinish of US military arms most being WWII

MikeArthur
12-18-2016, 02:20 PM
Value? Asking for a friend. thanks. Mike Arthur.
Hampton Horse Artillery.

MR. GADGET
12-18-2016, 09:39 PM
It has the H that hoyt stamped
Would want to see the barrel to make sure but based only on the info given I would say 100 to 200 more that a like euro arms.

Most were selling the JRA in the range of 600 to 700

MR. GADGET
12-18-2016, 09:42 PM
Are you sure it is 8? I have a seven lands and groove.

Harry

Is yours a hoyt barrel or a JRA Euro arms with Hoyt Cut rifling?

RaiderANV
12-19-2016, 11:49 AM
When last these were sold they went for $895. JRA bought unfinished parts and built the guns having far better fit/ finish then the Italians. There were no proof marks as the barrels were blank when sent over. Hoyt rifled them. There guns will shoot. Reenactors love them because of the proper shape and contour of stock and not all th proofmarks. I've had several and still have two and all shot great.

Here rd it's worth what you or another skirmisher will pay. Guessing $675-750. The reenactors will pay $150-200 more depending on how nice it is.

MarkTK36thIL
12-19-2016, 12:04 PM
I actually had thought that the shooters would pay more because of the Hoyt reline.

Reenactors are a tricky breed, and after seventeen-years, I still haven't figured them out in regards to the recontouring jobs and custom gems that you see more often in the NSSA than any reenactment. $500-650+ for the gun, add on $150-300+ for the custom work, and then reenactors can't sell them to other reenactors even at a $150-$250 loss. I'm to the point that you have to acknowledge the custom work you have done is for your own ease of mind, and that you will never receive the full value if you decide to sell off the piece or decide to upgrade.

Michael Bodner
12-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Regarding custom work: Same thing goes for cars and motorcycles. You may have paid $$ for the custom features, but you will NEVER recover than money when you sell it. Sorta goes the same way for adding all the do-dads to your AR-15...

Whatever the market will bear....

Maillemaker
12-19-2016, 03:15 PM
I have a JRA Richmond Carbine. It has "HOYT" stamped in the belly of the barrel.

Can someone who knows the full scoop tell us the story of the Hoyt involvement with the JRA muskets?

Mine is a tack driver. Off a bench it will put 10 shots all in a 10-ring sized hole.

Steve

MR. GADGET
12-19-2016, 03:22 PM
I actually had thought that the shooters would pay more because of the Hoyt reline.

They were not relined, they were never lined in the first place to be relined.
they were blank barrels that Hoyt used a special cutter to rifle the barrels.

MR. GADGET
12-19-2016, 03:27 PM
I have a JRA Richmond Carbine. It has "HOYT" stamped in the belly of the barrel.

Can someone who knows the full scoop tell us the story of the Hoyt involvement with the JRA muskets?

Mine is a tack driver. Off a bench it will put 10 shots all in a 10-ring sized hole.

Steve

When I got mine you could get a hoyt barrel or a hoyt rifled euro arms barrel or a standard euro arms that they defarbed.

That is first hand info from JRA at nationals last they were there.

I ended up getting JRA that were smoothbore so they just used the Armisport 1842 and a Richmond they did with euro arms barrel.

RaiderANV
12-19-2016, 03:34 PM

Reenactors are a tricky breed, and after seventeen-years, I still haven't figured them out in regards to the recontouring jobs and custom gems that you see more often in the NSSA than any reenactment. $500-650+ for the gun, add on $150-300+ for the custom work, and then reenactors can't sell them to other reenactors even at a $150-$250 loss. I'm to the point that you have to acknowledge the custom work you have done is for your own ease of mind, and that you will never receive the full value if you decide to sell off the piece or decide to upgrade.

I hear ya Mark. Difference here is this is an 1861 model and not a 63'. Reenactors can use this for every event. One gun does it all if you will. They will pay for a musket already defarbed (CHIT! Should ah looked to see where Eggman is before using that word ) and they have it turnkey. They pay 200-500 to "defarbed" a gun. I've never had a problem getting those prices from the reenactment crowd. You simply have to explain what if is they are getting as most won't know from reading it's a JRA build. I'd venture this would bring $800+ over there

MarkTK36thIL
12-19-2016, 07:04 PM
Shhh lol.

Agreed, someone like myself would easily pay for that. I dropped a original lock into a Zimmerman "remodel," and that ran about $100 to get put in.

I think I'm just perplexed why a Todd Watts reworked p1853 was not selling for the longest while at what I thought was a stellar price ($750). I couldn't figure it out. Maybe too many guys got 1853s for the time being.

RaiderANV
12-19-2016, 08:56 PM
$750 if in good shape is a great price for a buyer. Some thangs defy logic I reckon.

John Holland
12-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Mr. Gadget is quite correct on what he has said about the JRA barrels. The owner/operator of JRA, Mark Hartman, said he offered two grades of reproductions: (1) "Shooter Grade" and (2) "Re-enactor Grade". The "Shooter Grade" would have a Euroarms barrel blank reamed & rifled by Hoyt (most common), or one of Hoyt's own barrels (usually a special order for a customer, or when Euroarms blanks weren't available). The "Re-enactor Grade" was assembled from unfinished parts, stocks re-profiled, and barrels "de-farbed" and remarked. All of the JRA rifles and rifle muskets were assembled, fitted, and finished right here in the USA from unfinished parts ordered in quantity from Euroarms, and shipped directly to JRA from Europe. Mark Hartman/JRA was a staunch supporter of the N-SSA and did his best to provide a high grade competitive arm at near entry level prices to encourage more participation in the N-SSA and shooting sports in general. The loss of Euroarms was a great loss to all of us, not only for their product line, but the fine arms produced by JRA using their parts.

Here is a bit of additional information nearly no one knows today: When JRA folded their muzzle loading arms operation they were in the process of designing and producing a War of 1812 period Virginia Manufactory Musket for use in the N-SSA's smooth bore matches, the early Confederate living history presentations, and the impending War of 1812 Bicentennial celebrations. The intention was to have the arm offered in both flint lock and a CS percussion altered variation. Because Mark Hartman always worked very closely with the N-SSA's Small Arms Committee, I got to see the prototype castings for the barrel bands, trigger guards, etc. This would have been a product designed and made wholly in America. How I would have loved to have had one of those!

John Holland