PDA

View Full Version : Official Notice: Moratorium on Ballard Civilian Military Hybrid Carbines

John Holland
12-12-2016, 03:35 PM
This is an "Official Notice":

As of 12-12-2016, the Ballard Civilian Military Hybrid Carbine, as made by Ball & Williams, will no longer be accepted for use in the N-SSA's Competitive Matches.

The reason for this is:

Current research has shown that the information which was originally used for accepting this arm has recently been discovered to have been faulty regarding the number of arms produced. Today, only 60 such arms can be documented as having been produced. This number does not meet the requirement of the N-SSA's Rules, which call for documentation of 100 arms produced. Therefore, no additional Ballard Civilian Military Hybrid Carbines will be given a SAC Individual Approval. However, with that having been said, the 5 or 6 such arms which have already been issued SAC Cards in the past are considered to be "Grandfathered" and will continue to be allowed to be used. The reasoning is that those individuals who submitted said arms, and received their SAC Cards, did so in good faith and so they shall remain.

Sincerely,
John Holland
N-SSA Small Arms Officer

Kevin Tinny
12-12-2016, 10:18 PM
Hello, John:

I don't want to make a BIG mistake.

Please help me. What about the 30", 56-50 rifle version, please?

Respectfully,

Kevin Tinny,
Soon to be with the 42nd NY

John Holland
12-13-2016, 08:28 AM
Kevin - The arm in question is a civilian sporting rifle, octagon barrel, .44 caliber, with a military butt stock.

Kevin Tinny
12-13-2016, 09:43 AM
Thanks, John:

Just to be sure, is the Romano three band rifle version in 56-50 ok, please?

Regards,
Kevin Tinny

John Holland
12-13-2016, 10:56 AM
Kevin - The topic is Ballard arms, are you by chance referring to a Spencer Rifle?

Mike McDaniel
12-13-2016, 11:33 AM
No, I think he means the Ballard half-stock rifle, currently approved in .44-40. http://www.romanorifle.com/18243.html

Kevin Tinny
12-13-2016, 12:22 PM
Thanks John and Mike:

Put another way, is the Romano Ballard version ok, if in 56-50 caliber and in rifle, not carbine configuration, please?

Thanks,
Kevin

bobanderson
12-13-2016, 05:41 PM
Thanks John and Mike:

Put another way, is the Romano Ballard version ok, if in 56-50 caliber and in rifle, not carbine configuration, please?

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin,
Larry DOES NOT make a Ballard in 56-50, rifle, carbine or howitzer. The only 56-50 I saw on his web site is the Spencer carbine.

Carolina Reb
12-13-2016, 06:43 PM
The large frame Ballard is a completely different beast. I don't know of anyone reproducing them. Dwight-Chapin started off making them but had quality problems and defaulted. Ball & Williams finished up 1000 carbines and about 600 rifles. It doesn't appear that Ball made any complete large frames, just assembled what they could from the D-C parts pile. These are nominally 56-56 Spencer, but the bore is 54 caliber. That was one of the reasons Uncle Sam refused to accept them and they would up in Kentucky. There was some 56-56 ammo made with 0.560" bullets, which is labeled for Ballard rifles.

John Holland
12-13-2016, 07:05 PM
To answer Kevin's question directly, no the Romano Ballard is not acceptable in .56-50....in any configuration.

Greg Delk
12-13-2016, 07:38 PM
John:

Looking at a Ballard Sporting Rifle to re-work to Ballard Rifle. Could such be approved for NSSA Card?

Sincerely,
Greg Delk
Terry's Texas Ranger

Kevin Tinny
12-13-2016, 09:47 PM
Thanks, John and others:

Guess I will have to look into this more. I have a large frame, 56-50 three-band rifle in process with Larry.

Regards,
Kevin Tinny

Bruce Cobb 1723V
12-14-2016, 02:39 PM
Kevin, At one time I had 35 Ballards in my collection. The big frame is certainly big. As a matter of fact I think I was the first one to call it that some 20 odd years ago. An original 1 st model, half stock, small frame is rare. The big frame militarys were only made in 56-56 not 56-50 and doesn't share any parts from the small frame firearms. Attempting to build one from scratch is a feat. I think it would be far wiser to restore an original basket case condition gun and I do hope that is what Larry is doing for you. Many times during the Nationals I have displayed the little frame rifle next to the big frame rifle just so folks get an idea of how big it really is. Its like a gazelle next to an elephant. By the way the big frame rifle has the smallest production numbers of any Ballard rifle or carbine. Good luck.

Kevin Tinny
12-14-2016, 06:42 PM
Thanks, Bruce:

I appreciate your help.

I have heard from others via PM's that their large frame Ballard rifles in 56-50 have SAC cards.
These are not in the disallowed configuration mentioned by John Holland.

I have also seen and have photo's of three rifles in 56-50 with four-digit serial numbers.
So, now am not sure what to think.

Regards and thanks again.

Kevin Tinny

Bruce Cobb 1723V
12-15-2016, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=Kevin Tinny;58695]Thanks, Bruce:

Kevin....I am opening a new thread about big frame Ballards. There are no 56-50 military Ballards in any configuration.