PDA

View Full Version : berdan sharpshooters cartridge box

keweenaw
12-07-2016, 04:01 PM
Hello. Does anyone make a reproduction of a Berdan Sharps cartridge box? I recently found a picture in a Sharpshooters book, and it differs from the standard infantry box. Also, anyone have more pictures of what an original looks like? Thanks

keweenaw
12-07-2016, 04:08 PM
Hello. Does anyone make a reproduction of a Berdan Sharps cartridge box? I recently found a picture in a Sharpshooters book, and it differs from the standard infantry box. Also, anyone have more pictures of what an original looks like? Thanks

Let me clarify; the leather cartridge box, not a paper box with sharps label. I see some folks are making reproductions of those too.

MarkTK36thIL
12-27-2016, 03:45 AM
Have you shot Brian White a message about it? He's on WW and Company, but if you send me a PM with an email, I'll pass it along. Someone is selling an original box, but it's not cheap.

Kevin Tinny
12-27-2016, 07:36 AM
Hello:

Nick Duvall of Duvall Leatherworks near Scranton, PA, can make you one. He made me two.
His craftsmanship is tops. He copied an original.
They are no longer pictured on his website, so I suggest a telephone call. 570-283-9297
If you PM me your mail address or text enabled phone number, I will send photo's.

You can Google "sharps cartridge box" and view IMAGES to see his clearly identified.

Regards,
Kevin Tinny

george7542
12-27-2016, 03:35 PM
You can try Nick but the last time I called out there they were no longer making accountrements

verg
01-12-2017, 08:35 AM
Jarnigan makes one. I have one of his. It's ok. You have to make/have made the tins and wood block. http://www.jarnaginco.com/CWFedctgbx.html

There is currently, as of this writing, a real one on Ebay with *great* pictures. http://www.ebay.com/itm/172481446898?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I would really recommend grabbing the images whilst they are available. There are, supposedly, fewer than a dozen real ones known to exist. Some do not have the tins and blocks as this one does.

I have no connection with either of these two transactions but offer the information for its own sake and to address the OP question.

John+
Co. C., 2 USSS

Bruce Cobb 1723V
01-12-2017, 10:15 AM
After looking at the original. Look for an old Mike Yeck box and just redo the back straps. Just a suggestion.

Kevin Tinny
01-12-2017, 10:35 AM
Hello:

Am NOT even a beginner in the field of CW era ctg. boxes.

Duvall's is a copy of an original. His has neither a weighted brass flap plate nor holes for attaching one. Also, the tins are different. His has round, cylindrical tubes on the top level to hold indvidual paper ctg's.

Perhaps there was more than one version.

Duvall's workmanship and authenticity are first-class. He will not make these items without access to authenticated originals.

Respectfully,

Kevin Tinny
42 Tammany Reg't.