PDA

View Full Version : WTS Pedersoli P1853

RWSaye
11-23-2016, 08:40 AM
I am selling a practically brand new Pedersoli P1853 Enfield. Defarbed by Todd Watts. Lock plate reads 1861/Tower. Barnett London is stamped in the wood between the escutcheons. This rifle was made up to resemble one of the first enfields to come into Savannah in 1861.

This rifle is beautiful. It has a blonde walnut stock and the bluing and case hardening is immaculate. Get a practically new Pedersoli for a deep discount!

asking $750 plus shipping.

email me at r.w.saye@gmail.com for pictures. I accept PayPal.

thanks,

Robert Saye

Eggman
11-23-2016, 10:09 AM
As a nonreenactor I must declare ignorance as to what "defarb", a nonword, means. Does it mean all original identification markings have been removed - like "Made in Italy," or "Use Black Powder Only," or "Pedersoli," or the legally mandated proof marks? For proof of advertising purposes please delineate exactly what changes have been made. Photos are not adequate -- some readers have no idea what markings are supposed to be there. Lastly, twenty years from now will a subsequent owner be able to distinguish this gun from an original? If not, you need to designate this gun not as a "defarb," but as a counterfeit 1853 Enfield.

59thOVI
11-23-2016, 11:05 AM
As a nonreenactor I must declare ignorance as to what "defarb", a nonword, means. Does it mean all original identification markings have been removed - like "Made in Italy," or "Use Black Powder Only," or "Pedersoli," or the legally mandated proof marks? For proof of advertising purposes please delineate exactly what changes have been made. Photos are not adequate -- some readers have no idea what markings are supposed to be there. Lastly, twenty years from now will a subsequent owner be able to distinguish this gun from an original? If not, you need to designate this gun not as a "defarb," but as a counterfeit 1853 Enfield.

Actually, it is a word. From John G. Zimmerman, Gunsmith from Harper's Ferry: Defarbing is the process of removing all modern markings from a reproduction firearm and replacing them with the correct period marks. Manufacturer's markings are removed and the serial number (req'd by federal law) is moved to an inconspicuous location on the bottom of the barrel.

As I understand it, Mr. Tom Watts is the best in the business for defarbing Enfields. So if true to the process, all modern markings are simply relocated.

Defarb comes from the word farby. Farby is a word (originally from the reenacting world) to describe something in the is not authentic. Kinda like me, I'm 3 times the age of a union solider and much better feed :D

dbackfed
11-23-2016, 12:10 PM

This is another hijack of a thread by you for your soapbox. If you want to debate it, there was another thread created just for you.

david eye 10882
11-23-2016, 12:41 PM
I agree the guy made a post to sale a musket. I don't know why there is a couple on this form thinks that they have to have a smart answer for every post . If you don't like a word in a post then start your own thread . Lets don't turn people away, thanks for you time. Allen

RWSaye
11-24-2016, 08:21 AM
Price dropped to $700.00 plus shipping