PDA

View Full Version : Long range sights

David Kennard 12146
11-15-2016, 08:36 AM
All,
Ok, let me start off by stating I am a true novice at building guns. i need some clarification/info.
I am contemplating building a Whitney Militia. The SAC sheet lists a a long range sight.
My question is, are there multiple types of a long range sights to choose from? If so, would anyone know which would be used on this gun?

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
11-15-2016, 07:26 PM
Best to check with John Holland

John Holland
11-16-2016, 10:58 AM
David - The following link should take you to some previously posted photos of the Whitney you want to build. http://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/showthread.php/11835-FS-Nixon-built-Whitney-2-band-militia-Rife?highlight=whitney

The rear sight is unique to Whitney alone. The sight base has a rounded back from the hinge pin down to where it meets the barrel, and is dovetailed and screw mounted. The side walls are blank with no graduation numbers, and the ladder is graduated "5, 6, 7" on the left leg of the ladder. The only reproduction of this sight that I know of was made by Rich Cross. My understanding is that Rich is may no longer be producing sights. In your PM to me you mentioned Brian Haack and Gary Vikar. I am sorry to tell you that Brian Hack passed away some time ago, and I believe Gary Vikar is out of the gun building business.

These Militia Rifles were representative of Whitney's "Good & Serviceable Arms", of which he produced numerous varieties. The Whitney Militia that you are interested in building was produced mostly from condemned parts which Whitney had purchased at Federal auctions. The parts for this series of arms came from Harper's Ferry condemned parts. The stocks and barrels were rejected parts from the Harper's Ferry 1855 Rifle. There were no barrel bands , so Whitey used surplus bands from his Mississippi Rifles.

John Holland

David Kennard 12146
11-16-2016, 01:36 PM
Thanks Greg and John.:cool: