PDA

View Full Version : Fixer-upper CVA Zouave rifle - need advice on mainspring and replacement parts

Rock Islander
11-14-2016, 09:33 PM
I'm cleaning up up an old Connecticut Valley Arms Zouave made in Spain, mostly finish work. It's missing the front band parts and the mainspring. I did find Chiappa parts on-line from a supplier but they didn't have any idea about whether they would fit, so I'm reaching out to this forum. The local Texas skirmishers have encouraged me but if anyone would know, its N-SSA folks. Any suggestions and recommendations appreciated, is the mainspring replacement usually a simple matter? (I'm a novice at this, without any manuals or references at present, just what web searches have dredged up.)

I saw this rifle on the approved N-SSA list, I hope it makes a good shooter, at least it will be a good looking piece!

RaiderANV
11-14-2016, 10:51 PM
A picture of the backside of the lock would be helpful as there were/are two different patterns and enter al parts.
Where in Texas......I have a place outside of McKinney

l.cutler
11-15-2016, 05:03 AM
These guys bought up all of CVA's sidelock parts, could give them a try. http://www.deercreekproducts.net/

Michael Bodner
11-15-2016, 06:58 AM
Typically, the Spanish Locks do NOT accommodate a 'regular' mainspring. The pivot pin is in the 'wrong' spot. You would have to fill the hold (weld it closed) and redrill...

-Mike

Rock Islander
11-16-2016, 11:00 PM
Pat, here's a picture of the lock, you and Michael are helping prepare me for "trouble ahead", and an extended learning opportunity! Everything about this project has been a learning experience, including trying to attach this picture! If the image brings up any other recollections, I'd be grateful if you can share.4825

Mr. Butler, thanks for the tip about deer creek, they don't list Zouaves but I've got a message off to them - and you've helped me find yet another candy store on the inter webs!

I found that Taylor's and Dixie stock other manufacturer's Zouave parts, and the Winchester sutler's website (Brush Creek Armory) lists a few, too, but I'm not sure whether they're still in business. Sounds like I should plan to enlist the help of a good gunsmith along with buying some parts!

Thanks for your input, gentlemen, I truly appreciate the chance to tap some of your accumulated knowledge and hopefully avoid a few of your bad experiences as I stumble forward from reenacting to skirmishing. I think I've found some good local folks down around San Antonio, Texas if I can ever line up an open weekend to their matches. Maybe someday I'll make an NSSA match!

Mark Henry
Round Rock, TX

Michael Bodner
11-17-2016, 07:37 AM
I measured the difference in the mainspring pivot hole between a Spanish lock and an Italian lock. The Spanish is about 0.030" too close to the tumbler (further from the edge of the lock).

Sorta looks like your hole is plugged - Maybe the previous spring pin busted off in it?

-Mike

RaiderANV
11-17-2016, 09:15 AM
The mainspring pin hole doesn't go all the way through on some of the . Least that is one of the Spanish locks with a real sear spring and not one out of a ball point pen.

Best thing to do is mail it to Lodgewood and they will fit the parts and ship it back. www.lodgewood.com yeah......another big toy store 😁 If they don't have a Spanish part(doubtful anyone does) they will fit another into your lock and jus drill a hole for the pin in new spring.

Yer about 3.5 hrs from my place in McKinney. I plan to make all the skirmishes they have in SA.

Southron Sr.
11-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Order a Dixie Gun Works catalog. It costs only $5.00 and is around 600 pages long. It has a lot of good info in it, including a lot of reference information.

IF I recall correctly, DGW sells some mainspring castings that have a "tab" on the side so you can custom file the "tab" to get the mainspring to fit the hole your lockplate.

https://dixiegunworks.com/