PDA

View Full Version : Trucksmithing Tip

Southron Sr.
06-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Yep, this could only happen in the South be done by a Skirmisher.

My Ford F-150 truck was about to lose the muffler. It only has 325,000 miles on it, so it is hardly "broke in" yet. Need to check if the Warranty is still in effect.

Well, the other day, I had to do a quick repair to the muffler before it fell off of the truck.

I searched and searched and searched the barn and machine shop for a suitable piece of wire to use for the muffler "hanger strap"

Then I spotted an old, rusty, DGW repro Enfield ramrod that someone had "accidentally" shot down range years ago. It still had some interesting kinks and bends in it.

I grabbed the old repro ramrod, crawled up under my "almost new" Ford F150 and using two pairs of pliers, the ramrod quickly became my new muffler hanger strap.

No doubt, at the next Skirmish, my fellow Skirmishers will be "Green with Envy" when they learn of my Tucksmithing Skills!

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
06-23-2008, 12:15 PM
I've been hanging onto a ramrod Bill Osborne (Lodgewood Mfg) shot downrange, waiting for the right time to present it back to him. Now that I know it's a useful auto repair part, he may not get it back.

Gary Van Kauwenbergh
114th IL

Mike w/ 34th
06-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Faced with the same problem once on the way back from Virginia, I made a field expedient hanger from duct tape. Coil it into a rope and make it several layers thick, and only the outer couple layers will burn through. Should be good for a couple hundred miles. :)

-Mike

Muley Gil
06-25-2008, 10:33 AM
And WHY do you think you need a muffler!!!????? :P