PDA

View Full Version : Needed: Original 1842 Smoothbore parts

Michael Bodner
11-02-2016, 01:12 PM
I'm rebuilding a cut-down '42 Springfield Smoothie. As expected, it's missing some parts. If you have any of the following that you would like to sell, please post your asking price and a photo of the part to: mbodner@chemringsensors.com

Originals preferred.... Please indicate if repro

Thanks!!

-Mike

Front Barrel Band
Middle Barrel Band w/ swivel
Front Band Spring
Middle/rear Band Spring (2 needed)
Rear Sling Swivel (goes on trigger guard)
Wood to stretch stock (from rear barrel band to front)

Dave Fox
11-02-2016, 04:27 PM
Ahhh, my friend, you should have been looking forty years ago. The likes of Cecil Ennis of Baltimore or Jack Mcgune of Worchester, Massachusetts could provide everything...everything!... but the forestock. Things got boring in my workroom, I could and did slap a Richmond together with original brass buttplate, nosecap, and lockplate or an 1842, rifled or smoothbore with just a phone call. Times ain't now what they used to was.

Michael Bodner
11-03-2016, 07:16 AM
Harry,

Thanks! Enjoy your trip and when you get back, see what you can find.

The wood on mine is pretty dark - As you would expect... Of course, light and dark are relative terms...

Don't turn the house inside out looking for it, but if you do find it, send me a pic and some prices...

thanks!

-Mike

Bruce Cobb 1723V
11-21-2016, 11:18 AM
I have a repro front nosecap for $75 shipped? let me know

Des
11-21-2016, 01:58 PM
Now I see why the interest in mine. I almost feel guilty finding mine before you

Michael Bodner
11-21-2016, 03:02 PM
Des,

Its always 'fun' to see what other find.

Interestingly enough, my gun is 'named'. The trigger guard has a name and the stock has matching initials: Theodore Wells.

I need to ask the seller from whence the gun came to potentially track down it's history.... If I can get sufficient provenance, I will rebuild with only original parts. If not, then repro parts will suffice.

-Mike