PDA

View Full Version : Range report on old Euroarms Rogers & Spencer

Jim Wimbish, 10395
11-02-2016, 10:01 AM
While wandering around Sutler's Row at the Fall Nationals, I stumbled across a new in the box Euroarms Rogers & Spencer revolver that appeared quite old and yet unfired. Unable to resist, I bought it. The frame was no longer blue, but had a purplish color to it and the Italian date code 'AD' meant that it was built in 1978. After cleaning most of the old grease out of it, I decided that it was ready to go to the range. Although the chambers will handle smaller round balls, I decided to just go ahead and shoot .457's since that was all that I had available. While still at home, I checked the trigger pull, which came out to about 5 pounds. I made up a couple of different loads for a total of about 24 rounds and off I went. The .457" round balls loaded easily on top of the 1/2 inch fiber wads that I was using, eliminating the need for any filler and I put a little grease on top of the balls for some lubrication. I used the normal RWS 10.75 caps and they worked fine. All but one of the rounds went off the first time, I never had to pinch a cap, and none of the caps came off during firing. Since I was trying to see how well the gun would shoot, I went with a two handed grip, knowing that the gun deserved better than to have me TRY to shoot it one handed. With the two handed grip, the heavier trigger pull wasn't so much of an issue, and the gun felt much more comfortable with the steadier grip. At 25 yards the gun was shooting about 4 inches left and about 4 inches high with both loads, but the gun seemed to be grouping . It performed flawlessly as I cocked it for the next shot with a nice clicking sound. I found that I was actually enjoying shooting this revolver with the two handed grip much more than shooting my match revolvers with one hand.

I am glad that I picked up this revolver at the Nationals, and I was amazed, at how well it shot out of the box. I can see why the Euroarms R&S revolvers have such a good reputation. It was truly fun to shoot with a steadier two handed grip, and our sport should be about having fun.

Wayne Clark
11-02-2016, 10:44 AM
Jim,
In the early 80's I purchased a Navy Arms revolver. It too had a purple frame. Inquiring to the company about such, I was told it was due to the case hardening process and the applied bluing.
W. Clark

Jim Wimbish, 10395
11-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Wayne,

Thanks for solving the purple frame mystery. I had another Rogers that I purchased around 2002 that had a consistent blued finish.

ian45662
11-03-2016, 07:29 PM
Mine has the same color to it. Good shooter though so I over look it ;)