PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: used 1858 Remington repro cylinders

Randall
10-24-2016, 02:58 PM
I'm looking for several 58 Remington repro cylinders either blue or stainless, a little rust and abuse would be OK as I can clean them etc. I like to shoot my Remmy from the bench and reload the cylinders with a separate tool. If you have one or two left over after a 58 Remington sale or locate a neglected one please let me know. I know that I can buy them new but I don't have a lot of spare money to work with. Disability doesn't allow for a very lavish lifestyle if you know what I mean. I've been a lurker here for years and have had many good transactions with forum members.

Please private message me or email me at badgerfarm 2 @ gmail dot com remove spaces. We could follow up with a phone call to confirm. I can pay with verified Paypal plus the fees or USPS Postal Money Orders whichever you might prefer.

Thanks

buicksp39
10-24-2016, 06:56 PM
I have a extra cylinder but not sure what it is message me and I can send a picture

Randall
10-24-2016, 11:25 PM
You can send the picture to my email at badgerfarm2@gmail.com If you click on the users name at the top of the post there is an icon there to send private messages but I don't think that you could send a photo through it. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Thanks

Randall

Randall
10-25-2016, 07:53 PM
I never heard back from the previous response. I'm still looking for some spare cylinders in .44 cal.

Thanks

C.W. Artillery
10-27-2016, 07:31 AM
Hi Randall ----

I tried Numrich Gun Parts for you this morning and they did have the 1858 Remington Army cylinder in .44 Cal as Part No. 870150C with the nipples installed. The list price was $159.70. The bad news is Numrich is sold out of that item. Sorry that didn't work out.

I have other contact that I'll check for you and get back with you by early next week. About what were you thinking about paying ?

Regards,

Webb.

C.W. Artillery
10-27-2016, 07:48 AM
Hi again Randall ---

I just went back into the Numrich Gun Parts web site and looked around some more. There were at least 3 or 4 other companies which imported the 1858 Army Remingtons. I have an early one that was marketed by Lyman, and its an Italian imprort made by Armi San Marco. Also, CVA, Navy Arms, and Dixie Gun Works imported the same revolver.

I checked the Navy Arms listing on the Numrich site and sure enough, they have the cylinder listed as part No. 870150 D ("D" instead of "C") at the same price of $159.70, but again it was marked as being Sold Out.

It will turn up with a little more leg work.

Have a good day, Randall,

Webb

C.W. Artillery
10-27-2016, 07:58 AM
Randall ---

I made a quick run through E-Bay using " Remington Army Cylinder " and came up with at least three cylinders for your revolver at < $90.00 . If you have a E-Bay account why not give a look today when you have time?

Webb

Randall
10-27-2016, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the help Webb. If you do run across one or two please let me know. With finances the way they are the cheaper the better if that's possible. I think Cabelas has them if I remember right.

Best regards

Randall

C.W. Artillery
10-27-2016, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the help Webb. If you do run across one or two please let me know.

Randall --- I checked with Dixie Gun Works. These are nice people who rent a store on Sutlers' Row at Fort Shenandoah. I usually stop and chat with them at the National matches.

Their web page for Remington .44 Revolver spares is;

< www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_434_443_444&osCsid=63 drmvaa53a3j7pkqnsl2o6dl5 >

The price for the cylinder is $85.25 each plus shipping.I have a friend who has an account with Dixie and I will call him to find out what his cost on these cylinders might be. I will also ask him if he would do me a favor and sell one to you at cost plus shipping.

Back to you later.

Webb

Randall
10-27-2016, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the help. I can use all the help that I can get.

Randall

Rebel Dave
10-27-2016, 11:36 AM
If its a Pietta, You can get spare cylinders form Cabelas, very resonable.

Rebel Dave

Randall
10-27-2016, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the heads up Dave, it is a Pietta. I looked at them on Cabelas website and it seems like a decent price for new. I was hoping to find used for less money but might have to buy one at time until I get a few built up.

C.W. Artillery
10-29-2016, 05:59 PM
29 October 2016

Thanks for the help. I can use all the help that I can get. Randall

Hi Randall-----

There is another N-SSA sutler at Fort Shenandoah by the name of Lodgewood Firearms that I checked for you. Unfortunately, their listing shows the Remington cylinder/s as be new .

Here is the image from their home page

www.lodgewood.com/Remington-1858-New-Model-Army_c_61.html (http://www.lodgewood/1885-Remington-Army-44-cal-Cylinder-Reproduction-for-Original_p_1640.html)

I don't think you want to spend the $75.00 asking price, plus shipping price. May I suggest that you send Lodgewood an email inquire and address to the attention of Bill Osborne asking if they might have a previously used Remington cylinder around their shop in need of a some TLC and a new home for it. I would also mention what you would like to buy one for, and see what happens. The worst case would be he would say "no". But he just may say "yes"

Good luck with your search, Randall.

Webb

P.S. I was having trouble getting the Lodgewood page reference to load, not sure right now why that is. If you would care to go to the main page you would be able to find the 1858 Remington repro parts.

John Holland
10-29-2016, 07:31 PM
Bill Osborne is no longer a part of the Lodgewood company, having sold the business to David & Danielle Stavlo. They are carrying on the well established tradition of excellent customer service!

C.W. Artillery
10-30-2016, 06:00 AM
30 October 2016

Thanks John for that update on the Lodgewood Company folks. I did meet Dan and his wife at the Baltimore Antique Arms Collectors show last March, but thought that Bill had taken the role, more or less, as a "silent partner" in the company. As you undoubtedly know, Dan is quite a talented gunsmith in his own right. He has recently posted photos of reproduction revolvers that he completed on commissions for clients.

Thanks much,

Webb

Randall
10-30-2016, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the update Webb. I'm still hopeful that I can find some used ones for a decent price. Cabelas had a sale on theirs in the not too distant past and that would be an ideal situation as they were quite reasonable. With any luck they will put them on sale again and I can pick several up. In the meantime I could order 1 a month as the finances allow. Disability funds don't go too far these days. In the meantime please let me know if you find any used ones that cross your path.

Best regards

Tom W. / McGregors 2nd
10-31-2016, 10:06 PM
Hey Randall,
I sent you a message.
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randall
11-01-2016, 03:03 PM
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the message. PM replied to.

Randall
11-02-2016, 08:45 AM
I found one for a reasonable price, many thanks to Tom, but could still use a few more if anyone has a spare for .44 cal Pietta. Condition is not super critical as long as the nipples will come out for replacement. Thanks for all of the forum members help.

Randall
11-10-2016, 10:02 AM
Back to the top. I can still use some spare cylinders for the 58 Remmy. Thanks