PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with original Sharps carbine

Smokepole50
10-23-2016, 07:18 PM
I have an original Sharps with a fairly tight bore. Best I can measure it, it is running .526 at the muzzle. It turns the back ring of a standard Christmas tree bullet into nice little wings.......I ordered some .525 bullets from S&S that arrived with a slight flare at the base of .530 so I loaded them up and shot them at 50 yards. First four rounds loaded with 45 grs of 3F, card wad and chopped oats as a filler hit the target about 10 inches high right over the bulls eye and in a fairly good group of about 4 inches considering the bore condition, original trigger pull and my 56 year old eyes.

The bore is in fairly good condition except for the last 10 inches which has some pitting. Before I do anything to this bore I want to try and make it shoot the way is is. Soooooo...............does anyone have a mold that throws a .530 bullet......Christmas tree style would be great but not necessary.

My plan is to load some harder lead bullets and try and fill the pits with some hard lead. Polish the bore a bit and repeat until I have a smoother finish for the softer lead to slide against.

Maybe this is a bad idea but I figured I would start off with a BH of 15 or so and see how things progress.

In any case if someone could point me in the direction of a .530 mold I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Randall