PDA

View Full Version : Decided on Real instead of Repro

milsurpshooter
10-16-2016, 07:34 PM
As per my previous thread (http://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/showthread.php/13097-Most-Authentic-Civil-War-Era-Reproduction), I was debating which repro was the "most" authentic before making a purchase. I was given a lot of good info to digest on the subject. I decided to keep an eye out for an affordable original that could possibly be in shootable condition.
I took the plunge on a BSAT 1863 Tower Enfield. The pre-purchase pics looked as if the stock had been refinished and/or varnished but the metal components looked in reasonably good shape. The only items missing were the ram rod and rear sling swivel. I have since begun a restoration of the stock by gently stripping the varnish using acetone and soft cotton rags followed by multiple coats of BLO. The bore looks like a sewer pipe but has full length rifling and may be a candidate for a reline. I initially thought it was loaded because I could not get a ram rod to pass through to the breech. Upon using a USB bore scope, I discovered that general corrosion and a possible minie ball skirt (or two) are still present.
From my limited research, I've determined that H. Clive was the barrel maker, M. Crosbee the stock maker, and T. Turner the gun maker/assembler. Not sure who Siddons & Sons (stamped on the inside lock face) is.
Please take a look at the pics and let me know if you can add additional info.
Thanks,
milsurpshooter

Hal
10-17-2016, 01:00 PM
I can't help with your questions, but I do feel the same way about originals. My wife and I just joined N-SSA this past Spring. I already had an original Burnside Carbine, but with us both joining, we were looking at purchasing at bare minimum, two muskets and another carbine. My wife wanted an original Sharps (She already had one, but it was a 50/70 conversion), so we got her a nice original model 1859. And then, we got her a Pedersoli 2 band Enfield. Being short on money and 'needing' a musket, I bought a used repro P-53. It was nice enough, but it just didn't satisfy my wants. I knew I would rather have had an original and was just not satisfied until I bought an original. She's happy with her Pedersoli and that's fine with me, but I just don't see myself ever buying another repro for myself. I'm afraid I won't be satisfied and it will just sit in the safe. I'm holding onto the repro P-53 for the time being figuring I could fall back on it if something happened to my original P-53. Or more likely, keep it until a friend or relative gets interested in skirmishing and sell it to them. Also, I bet if I found her a nice two band rifle that shot well enough, she would never look back at that Pedersoli.

Smosin
10-18-2016, 10:45 AM
Post your photos and questions over on the British Militaria Forum--I'll bet you will find more answers about markings and history of your 1853 over there:
http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/forums/4/British-Flint-and-Percussion-Arms