PDA

View Full Version : Zouave mainspring

Dan Mastin
10-12-2016, 08:34 AM
Sunday morning just before the pigeon board the mainspring in my Mississippi broke. A team mate had a spare for a Zoli Zouave, we installed it and it "kind of" worked. when I pulled the trigger the hammer would strike the nipple but would not maintain contact. The mainspring was bottoming out against the stock in the lock mortise. I was able to shoot, but I had a couple of hangfires.
I had a spare at home that I installed yesterday but it is weak. It will bust a cap but, because it is so weak, I fear it will rebound when fired. It does maintain contact with the nipple.
My Mississippi was built by Tom Nixon probably 25 years ago. Does anyone have a clue what brand of mainspring Tom might have been using? I hate to simply start ordering mainsprings until I find one that works.
I called Rich Cross who told me that all the internal parts on my gun are Zouave, not Mississippi parts and this was a common practice when correct Mississippi parts were expensive and hard to find.

Dan Mastin
11th Indiana

Michael Bodner
10-12-2016, 09:00 AM
Not to digress, but if your teammate is willing to sell that spare Zoli Zouave mainspring, I'd be interested...

Hope you find the spring YOU'RE looking for...

-Mike

Dan Mastin
10-12-2016, 09:29 AM
Sorry, it's his backup spring.

Dan

Michael Bodner
10-12-2016, 11:06 AM
Never hurts to ask. At least it doesn't until somebody punches you... LOL

thanks

-Mike

Harley1247
10-12-2016, 12:06 PM
One of my team mates had the same problem with his Zouave. His main spring was very soft and would not fire a cap. In talking to other team members they said they tried about six mainsprings and got the same results. The only outfit that I found that sells replacements is Taylor's and Company. How good they are I don't know and it seems there is no one making main springs for the Zouave. Rapine was good at making springs, unfortunately he is out of business.

Dan Mastin
10-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Found the spring I needed plus a spare.

Mike, if you want the soft spring I currently I'll give it to you. It would probably do in a pinch. If you are coming to either of the 2 remaining Capron skirmishes or the Carolina Homecoming I'll give it to you at one of these events.

dan M

Michael Bodner
10-12-2016, 04:03 PM
Dan,

Sweet!! I will be at the Carolina Homecoming in November.

I owe you a burger and a soda pop!!

Thanks again!!

-Mike