PDA

View Full Version : Love That Zouave

hobbler
11-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Does anyone make replacement rear sight inserts for replica minie ball rifles to bring them to bear at closer range (than the duplicated issue sights)? Thought I would ask around before making one.

R. McAuley 3014V
11-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Rich Cross makes rear sights for several different model muskets, both for U.S. and foreign, and also makes a replacement sight ladder to fit the Parker-Hale that uses the original pattern graduations to 900 and 1,100 yards. I’m sure that he would sell you a “blank” that you could mark with your own graduation marks.

J Weber 4114V
11-28-2009, 09:38 PM
The standard way for skirmishers is to add to front sight to get bullet impact down to 50 yd level.I have found that .100 is usually in the ballpark.
To do same on rear sight would be lowering by same amount.
Rich Cross does make fine sights and parts.There are many that sell replacement front sights also. Most with a zouave just grind or file blade,then cut a slot in the sight base to solder in a new taller blade.This can be done with minimal destruction to the blue finish. Much easier on barrels in the white of other models.

hobbler
11-29-2009, 08:25 AM
On the Armisport Zouave that I have the sights are as you would expect for the belt buckle aim point. If you remove the sight inserts and barely show the blade over the sight base it hits just about the same amount low as it did high on the lowest notch. This means that engineering a useable rear sight for civilian purposes is no great feat. An insert for a 75 yard zero instead of 200 will be had. And, I will be able to swap out inserts instead of permanently disfiguring an otherwise very nice rifle.
Some brass stock, torch, drill, files...maybe have to break out the tap and die set to make a short screw. While I'm at it I may as well have a windage adjustment..
What surprises me is that you can't buy one off the shelf.