PDA

View Full Version : Shilo Sharps

hawkeye2
10-03-2016, 08:10 PM
Is the Shilo Sharps carbine an approved firearm? What would be the correct caliber for this gun, .50, .52, .54?

Muley Gil
10-04-2016, 06:55 AM
Go here, click on "approved arms" and scroll down about 3/4 way to "Shiloh":

http://www.n-ssa.org/rules-forms/

hawkeye2
10-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Muley thanks though I had seen that and thought it confusing. It lists a '59 w/patchbox and a '63 wo/patchbox, both w/saddle bar & ring. Per Fladerman's the '59 (first 3,000 excepted), '63 & '65 are identical except for the barrel markings with minor improvements being made throughout production. He also states that 25,000 '63s were made without a patchbox and 40,000 with patchbox. I wonder if the approved list doesn't reflect the fact that possibly these are the only 2 Shilo carbines submitted to the SAC for approval. (If I have any more detailed info on Sharps carbines it's still packed away since my last move 18 years ago. :D)

Curt
10-08-2016, 02:02 PM
Hallo!

I am thinking, maybe, that it is a "distinction without a difference" as the major differences between a NM1859 and a "patchbox" equipped NM1863 lies with stampings/markings the original carry but not the repro's and a larger clean-out screw on the breech block of the original NM1863 over the NM1859. I do not know what Shiloh (or its sundry reincarnations) used on their blocks.

It slips my memory... but I do not recall if (or when) Shiloh initially offered a patchbox equipped carbine except on their later post war line. I recall the NM1863 only as I... once upon a time, inletted original "patchboxes" to retrovert a couple back to NM1859's (along with swapping out the bogus lockplate for originals). So, I am thinking I missed it as obviously from the SAC listing there was one.

Anyways, I am thinking that perhaps there is no such actual creature as a Shiloh NM1863 with a patchbox as it is for all purposes if not in reality just a NM1859.

Curt