PDA

View Full Version : Best revolver nipple wrench on the market?

paulmarcone
11-24-2009, 04:31 PM
I've had a problem with standard revolver nipple wrenches breaking trying to remove a stubborn nipple on my 1858 Remington. My next step is to soak the cylinder (with the stuck nipple) in Kroil.

But, for the future, what is the best revolver nipple wrench you can buy and where can I get it?

Thanks.

RangerFrog
11-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Paul,

Unfortunately, I don't know either, and my Remington (Pietta repro) gets a little frustrating at times too! :x You've asked a good question and I'll be watching for one of our fellow skirmishers to answer. BTW, has anyone made one of those nipple wrenches for an interchangeable blade screw driver in revolver size? Last time I looked they were only for musket size, but one of those (properly hardened) with one of those neat little ratchet wrenches ought to get the job done. :wink:

Froggie

paulmarcone
11-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Does anyone know if a 7/32" x 1/4" drive socket wrench would work??

Bill Tate
11-25-2009, 07:16 AM
Paul,

This suggestion will not help your current situation, but over the years I have learned that if you remove the nipples in each of your guns everytime that you clean immediately after shooting, brush them clean and coat them with white lithium grease, you will find that you should never again have the problem with "stubborn nipples". That said even though most revolver nipple wrenches that you find are relatively soft, the white lithium will keep the nipple from freezing up in the cylinder.

Bill Tate
6955V

Scott Kurki, 12475
11-25-2009, 07:35 AM
If you can't find a suitable wrench you could always have one made bu a machine shop. Or you may be able to get a soft wrench hardened.

Try Charlie Hahn, he is a pistol smith with a machine shop.

Alan Spencer, 7794V
11-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Not sure about the best wrench. I have had this problem and to get around it I started using anti-seize.. The kind that is for spark plugs, this has mad the nipples much easier to remove.. Good luck.. :D

hp gregory, 9128
11-25-2009, 08:40 AM
here is an old roundballers trick. we use teflon plumbers tape on all breech plugs, nipples and touch hole liners. if you do this you will never have a problem with anything being hard to remove from a fire chamber. just cut the tape to the proper width and wind it clockwise looking at the bottom of the nipple. this will tighten the tape as you screw the nipple in. if you do this any nipple wrench that fits decent will take them out. nothing else comes anywhere close to teflon pipe tape for this type of problem. try it you will like it.

hp

paulmarcone
11-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Paul,

This suggestion will not help your current situation, but over the years I have learned that if you remove the nipples in each of your guns everytime that you clean immediately after shooting, brush them clean and coat them with white lithium grease, you will find that you should never again have the problem with "stubborn nipples". That said even though most revolver nipple wrenches that you find are relatively soft, the white lithium will keep the nipple from freezing up in the cylinder.

Bill Tate
6955V

Thanks for the tip. In this particular case, it is a new gun and I was trying to remove the nipples for cleaning before shooting it. My normal procedure after every shooting session is to remove all the nipples, clean thoroughly and spray liberally with Ballistol.

I've never had a problem with a stuck nipple before.

So, again, the problem is getting a nipple removed from a new gun.

Thanks -- will try the socket nipple wrench from the Possible Shop and soaking the cylinder in Kroil for 24 hours...

Bill Weitz
11-25-2009, 10:27 AM
I've have good luck with the wrenches from Traditions, havent had one strip yet. I also put Kroil on the nipples and screws if I don't get to cleaning right away, works great.

Chuck Garvey 11311
11-26-2009, 02:35 PM
I had the exact same problem. I noted that Dixie Gun works had a large selection of wrenches. So I called and spoke to one of their gunsmiths. He directed me to this one listed below. It works very well. I have never had a problem with it. It costs $6.50.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_in ... ts_id=7624 (http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=7624)

paulmarcone
11-28-2009, 01:36 PM
I had the exact same problem. I noted that Dixie Gun works had a large selection of wrenches. So I called and spoke to one of their gunsmiths. He directed me to this one listed below. It works very well. I have never had a problem with it. It costs $6.50.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_in ... ts_id=7624 (http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=7624)

Sadly, that's the exact model I used! Dixie has sent me two so far and both broke immediately. I am waiting for a third, but also ordered a ratchet model from the Possible Shop. This Dixie one will be my back-up on nipples I know are not stuck...

Scott Kurki, 12475
12-13-2009, 11:17 AM
12 point sockets work on square nuts like nipples but do not get the same surface area as a nipple wrench gets but might help.