PDA

View Full Version : Stain for Maple gunstock?

mwmoore10261
11-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Before I Acraglas my Mississippi, I would like to refinish the stock. The gun is a 1978 Zoli with a maple stock which appears to have a thick coating of polyurethane. After I tackle the removal of the polyurethane should I use a golden oak stain to keep the stock a light color or is there another stain that would enhance the grain. I always finish my stocks with hand rubbed Tru-Oil.
Michael Moore, 10261,St Mary's Light Infantry

Joe Burchette, 2440V
11-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Try Dunlop. He sells a maple stain at the fort that I like.

Gary B
11-23-2009, 02:58 PM
I agree with Joe, Dunlap's Maple Magic is great stuff. I suggest you wait to stain it till AFTER your done with the bedding. That way you do not need to worry about damaging your new finish.
Gary B.

Tim Lyne
11-24-2009, 06:35 AM
'78 Zoli is likely to have a Beech stock, not Maple. Not that big a deal really, but you might want to try out your stain on a not-to-be-seen spot like under the patch box to get the shading right.

Beech will stain, but you often won't get the contrast in grain lines like you do with Maple. That's why all those Zoli's pretty much looked the same.

Tim Lyne
Knaps Batt.
#2952V

mwmoore10261
11-27-2009, 11:08 AM
I stripped the polyurethane and found the stock was indeed beech. There was some tiger stripped grain. I used 2 applications of Minwax dark walnut stain and the grain was enhanced but I wanted a warmer reddish brown tone. I found some really old oil based red mahoganony stain in my workshop, think I bought it a yard sale years ago. After two applications of this and aggressive hand rubbing I now have the color I wanted. I will acra-glas the stock using brown pigment and follow up with hand rubbed Tru-Oil. If I Get her sighted in before the Snowball, I might have to break down and shoot in the freezing cold.
Michael Moore,10261, St Mary's Light Infantry