PDA

View Full Version : 1860 sight adjustment

ian45662
11-18-2009, 03:28 PM
How can I adjust the sights on my 1860. It is hitting high and waaaay to the right. Do I need to replace the front sight or what and if I have to replace it how do I do that?

hobbler
11-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Same problem on a Zouave. It hits way high like it was just issued to fight with.
Removed the flip-up rear sights to see where the elevation would be when just barely showing the front blade over the sight base. It hit low like it had been hitting high. The long and the short of it is that it appears that with a little difficulty akin to making jewelry, an interchangeable sight can be created to split the difference.

ian45662
11-18-2009, 09:25 PM
Im sorry I should have said colt 1860

Charlie Hahn
11-19-2009, 02:30 AM
Elevation id new front post the windage needs to see if the barrel to frame connection is not correct. I small manufacturing burr, or miss cut mounting surface can cause this. Diss-assemble and look for shinny spots in the frame to barrel pinned surface. If none are found reassemble with a small piece of paper on the right side of this surface and shoot a few shots to see if the group moves. This will give you and idea if the surface needs to be re-cut or repaired. But I am guessing the surface has some burr or object there now that causes the barrel to be miss-alined

Charlie Hahn

Terry Davis 10639
11-25-2009, 08:02 PM
How can I adjust the sights on my 1860. It is hitting high and waaaay to the right. Do I need to replace the front sight or what and if I have to replace it how do I do that?

Mine does the same thing. It is a Uberti, and off the bench at 25 yards it is about 18" high and a foot right. But, it groups great with 18 grn of 3 f and a .454 ball.

You can also have the font sight dovetailed to adjust for windage, but if it is too far off, you might not be able to get enough adjustment.
As charlie said, a lot of it has to do with how square the barrel/frame mating is, as welle as the alignment of the cylinder pin.
I have not played around with mine enough to figure out the best fix.

Terry