PDA

View Full Version : Erratic Armisport

l.cutler
02-19-2008, 08:01 AM
Hello all, while I do not shoot in competition, I enjoy target shooting. I have an Armisport 1861 Springfield. The frustrating thing about this rifle musket is I may get a respectable 100 yard group one day, another day it may be a foot or more with the only change being the temperature. I am shooting Rapine old style minies properly sized to the barrel. I am aware of but have not had the lock tuned or the barrel bedded etc. Is it worth putting a lot of effort and money into the Armisport or sell it off and get something better? Are the old Colt Signature series rifle muskets a step up or pretty much the same thing? I know of one for sale and it is a possibility. I would be interested in others opinions on the subject. Thanks for any help.

Joe Burchette, 2440V
02-19-2008, 08:40 AM
It's probably the stock. Bed it.

Greg Ogdan, 11444
02-19-2008, 09:14 AM
What Joe said. Any repro you buy new may/will have bedding issues. All will have a terrible trigger. That said, the Armisport guns can be made to shoot cheaper than buying/building a custom gun. In your position, I would probably figure out some way th either bed and do the trigger job or have that stuff done. You will be surprised at the results.

l.cutler
02-20-2008, 07:44 AM
Wow, thanks for all the help on the board and those who PM'd me! I have never seen a more helpful group. It is going to be a while, but I now feel confident I can get this thing straightened out. Thanks again.

Dominic Infante, 8359V
02-22-2008, 01:38 PM
I also have an 1861 Armi Sport Springfield that can be eratic in terms of group size. There is no doubt with mine the cause was lead hardness. I bought a lead hardness tester, then experimented with bullets (I too use the old style), and found that with pure lead the musket holds a 2" group at 50 yards, while if the lead is a little on the hard side (around a 3 on the SAECO scale) the group opens up to a foot or better. If fact some bullets key-hole. The rifling on my Armi Sport Springfield is somewhat shallow. I really do not know if rifling depth interacts with lead hardness to influence accuracy. I've heard different views on that issue.

Bill Jefford, 1511V
02-22-2008, 02:12 PM
You didn't mention if you were shooting from the bench or off hand.

If it is from the bench it is probably a mechanical issue like hard lead or an inconsistent powder charge.

If you are shooting offhand it could something in your shooting technique.,that practice normally solves

Bill Jefford, 1511V, 117EN, NSSA

l.cutler
02-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Maybe I should get a hardness tester, I must admit I am only doing the old fingernail routine. Unfortunately this was shooting off the bench, until I get the lock tuned I dread shooting offhand!

Bob Maerdian
05-21-2008, 12:45 PM
For those of you considering a hardness tester, I would suggest one of the LBT testers made by Veral Smith of Lead Bullet Technoligies. I've had one for years and it is easy to use and there are no conversion mathematics involved.

Bob