PDA

View Full Version : INTERESTING MAYNARD 1st. MODEL CARBINE

C.W. Artillery
08-29-2016, 07:21 AM
INTERESTING MAYNARD 1st. MODEL CARBINE

29 August 2016

Bringing to your attention, an interesting MAYNARD First Model carbine for your information. What I found to be interesting, among other things, is the factory I.D. label still existing under the "patch box" lid. Without more information, I would have to conclude that the label is of original origin.

Please see: < www.collectorsfirearms.com/maynard-1st-model-carbine-al3407/ >

Webb Brown

< C.W.ArtilleryHistory@gmail.com >

Kevin Tinny
08-29-2016, 11:24 AM
Hi, there:

It looks original to me because it matches the FONT of others of which I have better images and that I have been unsuccessful in trying to reproduce for my two Maynards.

Interesting thing from a very experienced graphics artist friend who examined those images:

The "font" on the label was described as very old and not currently accessible on digital media.
He indicated that it would take a wizard to recreate it from scratch.

A couple years ago I had asked around about repro labels and was given assurances that they have been available from a couple of our respected sources, but calls to them produced no awareness.

Hopefully our Maynard experts will comment.

P.S. The asking price seems way high to me unless it has special provenance.

Respectfully,
Kevin Tinny9

efritz
08-29-2016, 12:47 PM
I am an owner of one that I shoot but by no means an expert. But mine came with an original pistol nipple instead of the musket nipple. It is a extremely nice piece as is the price. Collectorsfirearms usually has high prices and won't negotiate very far from a posted price. I paid nearly half that about 8-9 years ago from antiqueguns.com. .36 cal. 20" barrel wasn't any good. Two Bly barrels later, both 26" .36 and .50 and I'm good to go. Shoots great.

RaiderANV
08-29-2016, 01:32 PM
The label is original. I've had several First Models which still retained their labels. Unless that carbine has a lot of documented history that goes with it.....the price is high IMHO. I won't mind a bit when they actually start commanding those prices! ;)

Kevin Tinny
08-29-2016, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the help, Pat:

Like your comment on price. Maybe the collector's market has improved. If so enjoy it.

Have you, please, ever seen those labels reproduced?

Regards,
Kevin

John Holland
08-29-2016, 02:14 PM
Reproducing the original label is as simple as taking a high resolution digital photo of an original, printing it, cut it out, glue it in the box, and you're done!

C.W. Artillery
08-29-2016, 04:49 PM
INTERESTING MAYNARD 1 st. MODEL CARBINE

Reproducing the original label is as simple as taking a high resolution digital photo of an original, printing it, cut it out, glue it in the box, and you're done!

Understood John, except from my vantage point I would have to provide a caveat in any following disposition (read "sale") of that arm in the form of a full disclosure that would go something like this; " All original factory, except for the printed label in the patch box, which is a reproduction. "

Thanks --

Webb Brown

Kevin Tinny
08-29-2016, 05:10 PM
Thanks, John, and yes, I concur, CW.

Kevin Tinny

John Holland
08-29-2016, 06:01 PM
When selling an item isn't "full disclosure" the Gentleman's way of doing business? I know of at least a half dozen "original" Model 1 Maynards floating around with reproduction box labels. Is "full disclosure" what you find in the antique arms field? Not very often!

Smokepole50
08-31-2016, 08:26 PM
I am not a CW rifle expert, however I have been collecting firearms for a long time.

I would think that any 150 year old weapon not in original MINT condition would likely not retain what was most likely a glued on sticker. Think about how many times the patch box was used in 150 years. How many times did the gun get hot over the years and weaken the glue? How many of the people who carried a given rifle think about the future value of the rifle and re-glue the sticker back in place when it came off?

If you did happen to find a stash of original printed Maynard stickers, how would you age it to look correct for a used rifle?

Some times we just have to accept that only museums will have 100% original items.

Just some thoughts......

Jim Wimbish, 10395
08-31-2016, 08:55 PM
I have two First Model Maynards. One has an old label and the other does not. Most of the writing on the label is pretty faded but you can read the 'Maynard' at the top. I wouldn't even waste my time trying to read the rest of it. Both carbines have a spare nipple in the patch box. The spare nipple in the gun without the label will turn and with some effort would probably come out of the hole that it fits in. The nipple in the patch box of the other gun won't turn in the hole and there is no indication that it was ever taken out or there would be damage to the label. At this point, if I tried to pull out the nipple, I would almost certainly damage the label. Both guns were likely purchased by the State of Georgia as they are identical in configuration and the serial numbers are fairly close. One of the two was ID'ed to Captain O. C. Hopkins, McIntosh Light Dragoons, Fifth Georgia Cavalry. The gun belonging to Capt. Hopkins does not have a label.

Captain Hopkins survived the War, but was badly wounded at the Battle of Noon Day Church during Sherman's march on Atlanta. He returned home to recover and never was well enough to go back to his command. From what I can tell, he carried this carbine for the entire War until his serious injury.

John Holland
08-31-2016, 11:06 PM
Congratulations to Jim Wimbish on his research on two very fine Model 1 Maynard Carbines!
Regarding a previous comment about "Museums", they are hardly the "Gold Standard" on originality, or anything else for that matter.

John Bly
09-01-2016, 08:45 AM
You've got that right about museums, John. There are only a few that I would have full trust in. I know people who do restorations for museums.