PDA

View Full Version : Rogers & spencer revolver conversion

C.W. Artillery
08-28-2016, 10:25 AM
ROGERS & SPENCER REVOLVER CONVERSION TO CENTER-FIRE

28 August 2016

Notwithstanding the replacement center fire conversion cylinders that are available from R & D cylinders and which are only a phone call away at Taylor's & Co. and at Buffalo Arms , et. al, I am looking for a pistolsmith who knows and practices to old way of machining off the back of the percussion cylinder but retaining the original indexing rachet for proper timing.

My old friend Ray Repine from Pennsylvania showed me his personal conversions but I haven't seen Ray for many moons.

Likewise, Tom Ball knew that process, and he is missed. Any suggestion that could assist me?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Webb Brown
First Maine H. A. , Retired

hawkeye2
09-13-2016, 12:22 AM
Gary Barnes can do it and do it well but I'm not sure you can afford it. :D He's a great guy, call him and he'll be glad to talk to you about it.

http://cartridgeconversion.com/

C.W. Artillery
09-13-2016, 06:05 AM
13 September 2016

THANKS Mr. Hawk-Eye --- Your information is much appreciated and I do like what I have seen of Gary thus far. Most folks that I run into simply purchase the readily available conversion cylinders and that's that. I have a .45 Long Colt cylinder for the Remington, but wanted to do something unique with the Rogers & Spencer. The vast majority of R & S's that went out West were converted to center fire cartridge by frontier gun smiths in Kansas City, Colorado and California during the gold rush era and after.

You probably know that production of the repro percussion R & S's is over for all intents and purposes. Removing names, numbers, proof marks, date codes, etc. from reproduction arms is against my scruples. Deceptions come in many forms and for multiple reasons.

Thanks friend,

Webb

C.W. Artillery
09-13-2016, 06:26 AM
13 September 2016

Yes sir, Gary and I are on the same page, so to speak ! !

I can see he's been there and done that already. This is what I remember about what Ray Rapine showed me that came out of his shop.

Have a look see---

www.facebook.com/Cartridge-Conversion-Revolvers-dba-GB-Enterprises-726097890808536/ (http://www.facebook.com/Cartridge-Conversion-Revolvers-dba-GB-Enterprises-726097890808536/)

Webb