PDA

View Full Version : Firearms razeed from Springfield rifle musket

ms3635v
08-23-2016, 05:32 PM
For the past four years I have been studying the razeed firearms from the Richmond Arsenal using Paul Davies outstanding book. I have built two, two band rifles and a carbine using original Springfields. The question I have is what ram rods did Richmond arsenal use for for the razeed arms? With all of the knowledge out there someone has to have the answer.

Smokin' Joe
08-24-2016, 12:39 AM
Generally a razee will have 55/61 tulip style, with cupping. A '61 Special razee may keep it's ram rod. I do not have Mr. Davies book, does he give descriptions of the razed guns? Does he have pics? My sources are from Confederate Rifles and Muskets by Murphy and Madaus.
Hope this helps,
Joe

John Holland
08-24-2016, 10:02 AM
Joe - I would highly recommend acquiring one of Paul Davies' books. You can find him at any skirmish at the Fort shooting with the Washington Blue Rifles. Paul usually has copies with him and will autograph it, too if you wish. His publication is without a doubt the finest ever done on the arms produced at the Richmond Armory.

ChrisWBR
08-24-2016, 10:15 AM
I'll chime in here by noting that Paul self-published the book so it is hard to find outside of buying from him directly. He has decades of research in that book and the likelihood of anyone ever repeating that research is pretty much nil. Great book and Paul will be happy to discuss his research with you.

Smokin' Joe
08-25-2016, 04:27 PM
I will look for him this weekend, or at Nationals, thanks guys.

Curt
08-25-2016, 11:14 PM
Hallo!

With exceptions so noted, by and large... the short rifles and carbines tended to have straight ramrods.

Curt

noonanda
10-13-2021, 06:36 AM
Necropost, but what is the name of this book, and is Paul Davies still a member of the NSSA? If so does anyone have his contact info?

Rob FreemanWBR
10-13-2021, 09:08 AM
Necropost, but what is the name of this book, and is Paul Davies still a member of the NSSA? If so does anyone have his contact info?

Paul Davies is still a member of the N-SSA.

Pls send me a PM.

Carolina Reb
10-13-2021, 10:28 AM
Another reference is the book, CAPTURED & COLLECTED - CONFEDERATE REISSUED FIREARMS by Capt Steven W Knott

This reference presents several letters indicating that ramrod supply was one of the biggest holdups in reissuing repaired arms.

noonanda
10-14-2021, 12:54 PM
Another reference is the book, CAPTURED & COLLECTED - CONFEDERATE REISSUED FIREARMS by Capt Steven W Knott

This reference presents several letters indicating that ramrod supply was one of the biggest holdups in reissuing repaired arms.

This is a great book