PDA

View Full Version : Artillery Projectiles Collectors Among You ?

C.W. Artillery
08-23-2016, 11:21 AM
23 August 2016 -- I am interested in making connections with others in the N-SSA community who are artillerymen and women, who not only have an interest in the ' big bores ' armaments, but also concerning the wide array of projectiles in addition to those being of the R.B. Many such projectiles were granted U.S. and foreign patents subsequent to the development phase. I have a particular interest in the work performed at Whitworth in the U.K.

What do you think? Is there room for such discussion in the future here at the N-SSA forum?

Regards,

Webb Brown
Veteran, First Maine H.A.
Wounded in action, Petersburg, Va.
Retired

* * * * Thank you, N-SSA, for extending the privilege that I may communicate via this venue as your guest. * * * *

John Holland
08-23-2016, 06:07 PM
C.W. Artillery - The N-SSA is made up of members with a broad range of interests. Therefore I would encourage you to begin a new thread of interest to many of us!

C.W. Artillery
09-07-2016, 06:42 AM
07 September 2016

Thank you John Holland for your insight. I have just become acquainted with a highly skilled and proficient C.W. "Relic Hunter" by the name of
--- WILBUR C. BEDALL and have located a photo image display of some of his artillery shell recoveries and want to share that information with the N-SSA community.

The link to Mr. Bedall's information is < www.CenturionAuctions.com/Bedall (http://www.CenturionAuctions.com/Bedall) > for anyone interested in original C.W. Artillery projectiles and associated fuses, etc. , etc. Note, once you are linked to the above address, you will need to "Double Click On" the small photo image of Mr. Bedall in order to open his collection display. Lots of artillery projectiles recovered with many hours of searching and digging. Enjoy ! Each item has been identified by type and name of artillery with a comprehensive array of other relevant information. My thanks and gratitude go out to you, Wilbur Bedall, for your hard work and for your wanting others who come behind you, to learn from your experience.

Regards,

Webb Brown
First Maine Heavy Artillery (Retired)

Eggman
09-07-2016, 07:25 PM
Webb,
I have a fired 3" Confederate Reed shell in pristine condition -- fuze holder intact and removable, casting seams distinct, nail tops for the core holder still crisp, nice gouge in rotating band (but not gouged enough for function obviously), beautiful dimple in the base, etc. etc., a shell that will leave you drooling profusely and embarassingly. Will show it to you at the national.

Eggman
09-08-2016, 11:12 AM
Hi Webb,
I don't know the origin of the Reed. I bought it from Larry Hicklin who has/had a shop right outside the entrance to Murfreesboro Battlefield. Larry is a world famous digger. I forgot to add in my bragg the perfect imprint from the 3" ordnance rifle lands & grooves in the rotating band. Maybe it's from one of Forrest's (Morton's) "Bull Pups." I think in Hillary fashion I'll go ahead and claim that. I got to say it must have been recovered right after the war. There is almost no rust deterioration.
Webb this is the perfect place to ask about those Whitworths -- stay tuned.

C.W. Artillery
09-10-2016, 06:26 AM
THREE INCH C.S.A. REED SHELL

Good Morning Egg - Man ----

While we're on the subject, do you happen to know which company was casting reproduction Whitworth bolts for the U.S. National Park Service? As you know, originals are fairly rare and the Park Service contracted for "Repro's" for their various displays with their Whitworth ordnance pieces.

10 September 2016

This photo is of an original Whitworth bolt which was apparently fired during the Battle of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, and recovered there. It is an excellent example of the Whitworth 12 pound rifle projectile in 2.75 inch caliber, Pattern I .

Please see; < www.civilwarartillery.com/projectiles/rifled/iiia140.htm >

Webb Brown
First Maine H. A. (Retired)

C.W. Artillery
09-10-2016, 06:53 AM
WHITWORTH RIFLED ARTILLERY GUNS

10 September 2016

Please see reference : < www.civilwarartillery.com/inventors/Whitworth.htm (http://www.civilwarartillery.com/inventors/Whitworth.htm) >

The above reference indicates there were seven (different) (7) breech loading and five (different) (5) muzzle loading 12 Pound ( 2.75 ) inch caliber Whitworth rifled artillery guns in the American Civil War.

I profess to be a decidedly Whitworth fan, however, I am now amazed to learn about the wide variety of Whitworth designs which were imported during the Civil War.

Webb Brown
First Maine Heavy Artillery (Retired)