PDA

View Full Version : "Legal" for N-SSA

Wrekreation
08-22-2016, 04:19 PM
I just purchased the following rifle. I'm very new to N-SSA and I'd like to know if this rifle is "legal" or do I need an Inspection/certification from some office or person so I can use it in N-SSA skirmishes.

Charlie Hahn built Fayetteville rifle. Case colored lock plate and hammer with browned barrel. It has a Dan Whitacre made barrel in .577. Black walnut stock. Brass furniture and lock plate were made by Pete O'Neal. Rich Cross made rear site. Lock internals are all original parts. Tall shooters front site. Harmon S style hammer. Barrel channel in stock is glass bedded.

Thanks

John Holland
08-22-2016, 05:24 PM
Yes, your Fayetteville Rifle, as built by Charlie Hahn, is required to be inspected by a member the Small Arms Committee (SAC). The inspection can be done at Regional skirmishes, if a SAC Inspector is available, or at any National skirmish. Once that is done you will be issued a "Temporary Conditional Approval", which will permit you to compete with it in official skirmish matches, until such time as you receive your permanent SAC Individual Approval Card.

Thank you for asking!

John Holland
Small Arms Staff Officer

Wrekreation
08-22-2016, 07:41 PM
Thank You very much.

bobanderson
08-23-2016, 05:08 AM
Also, you are required to have your SAC card with you when competing with your approved arm. I was told once to have it on my person or with my gear in the ready area. Not sure what the "chapter and verse" is on that part.

PS - Welcome aboard. You're going to have a ball.

Charlie Hahn
08-25-2016, 10:36 AM
If you have any questions as to the parts used in your new rifle please call. I know it will pass inspection and if you have any issues I am willing to help as that was the conditions with the fellow I built this for.

Regards

Charlie Hahn
410-208-4736

Wrekreation
08-30-2016, 06:44 AM
I'm not worried about it passing inspection. Thanks for the note. I took it to the range and I'm appropriately impressed with the accuracy.

jonk
08-30-2016, 03:58 PM
Odds are, given the provenance of the parts, it was either another skirmisher's gun or whoever put it together may have already had the gun inspected. If whoever you bought it from didn't give you the SAC card- which is transferrable- you should ask them if they have it. Alternatively, if you know who the original shooter of the gun was, even if he/she lost the card, you MAY be able to just get the card re-issued, if you have enough data for them to easily look it up.

Otherwise the inspection process only takes a few minutes. With those parts I am absolutely sure it will be approved, unless someone messed with it since. In fact, I have the same gun with the same parts, except an 'in the white' lock instead of case colored, and had the innards of it replaced with Hahn parts once the tumbler needed to be re-done.