PDA

View Full Version : .54 cal Bernadelli 1841 Mississippi

terrydull
08-10-2016, 05:32 PM
I got a older Replica Arms(?) M1841 .54 cal Mississippi with what is to be believed to be a Numrich barrel. As neither are in business anymore, I'm try to find specs of these items.

Does anyone have any data or info on .54 cal Numrich barrels for Mississippi's?

Can't tell anything from the barrel itself as a LR sight has been soldered on covering the text on the barrel.

Please see attached pics.

BADSHOT
08-10-2016, 06:19 PM
As far as I know Numerich never made a .54 cal barrel, (just .58) very early Numerichs had their name spelled out in large letters on top of the barrel, later they just put NAC on side flat.

Also:
They did make a .45 cal barrel for drop in conversion to percussion for 45-70 stocks.

Jim Mulligan 7288V
08-10-2016, 08:52 PM
Italian barrel, likely original to the rifle.

terrydull
08-10-2016, 09:23 PM
Italian barrel, likely original to the rifle.

I thought so as well Jim ... But I can't find any Bernadelli's that were .54 cal ... The only ones I can find are .58 cal ... Situation very confused... Might quiz Mike Roush about it.

RaiderANV
08-10-2016, 10:59 PM
I've had two .54 Bernidelli's in the past that I reconfigured to use the Benton screw site. They made them but are few and far between. Bernidelli's were some of the better guns made also.

terrydull
08-12-2016, 10:20 AM
I've had two .54 Bernidelli's in the past that I reconfigured to use the Benton screw site. They made them but are few and far between. Bernidelli's were some of the better guns made also.

Benton screw site ??

Well if it does turn out to be a Bernidelli barrel ... ther're not approved for use on the line ... I'll have to consider some kind of fix ... new barrel, etc.

RaiderANV
08-12-2016, 09:58 PM
Benton screw site ??

Well if it does turn out to be a Bernidelli barrel ... ther're not approved for use on the line ... I'll have to consider some kind of fix ... new barrel, etc.

Why would they not be approved? I built three Benton screw sight variations using them with no problem getting SAC cards.

2kycav
08-13-2016, 01:40 AM
Why would they not be approved? I built three Benton screw sight variations using them with no problem getting SAC cards.

I have one in .58......they had to do some work on the bolsters on the first ones as they had been soldered on and some had blown off.....after they started welding them on, they were stamped with a W on the bolster......and reapproved.......love mine.....great shooter.....we'll get this one straightened out Terry, promise......

John Bly
08-13-2016, 08:48 AM
Here's why Bernadelli barrels are not approved unless they are stamped with a "W" indicating they are welded. This was on a Mississippi I bought 25 or so years ago. It is a brazed breech that has let go. I would not want the guy to my left shooting one of these.

John Holland
08-13-2016, 09:29 AM
Thank you John Bly for the photo. I have seen them split but never one completely off. The Approved Arms List, available through a link on the N-SSA home page, states that only the Bernadelli barrel with the "W" on the face of the bolster is approved.

terrydull
08-13-2016, 12:36 PM
Thanks gentlemen ... All this info is very helpful ...

As you can see in the photos above, there is NO W on the bolster ... But, I'm not sure if this barrel is original to the rifle. The guy I bought it from told me the barrel had been replaced. I'm trying to find out if that is in fact the case.

Again, much appreciate all the good info.

Terry

John Holland
08-13-2016, 02:35 PM
Terry - After enlarging your photos I can see your barrel is a Bernadelli. I am sorry to have to tell you that it is a brazed bolster and not allowed for use in the N-SSA. I'm sure you can salvage the sights and use them on another approved barrel. All the other parts are OK to use.

terrydull
08-13-2016, 04:19 PM
Terry - After enlarging your photos I can see your barrel is a Bernadelli. I am sorry to have to tell you that it is a brazed bolster and not allowed for use in the N-SSA. I'm sure you can salvage the sights and use them on another approved barrel. All the other parts are OK to use.

John ... THANK YOU! That's is exactly the information I was looking for ... Now, I just need to talk to the guy that sold it to me to see what he knows as well ... Then work on a replacement barrel.

Whitacre doesn't say he makes .54 cal barrels on his web site, only .58 & .69 ... Does anyone know who makes .54 cal M1841 barrels?

Terry

ms3635v
08-13-2016, 06:21 PM
Try giving Bobby Hoyt call. He may be able to help you out.