PDA

View Full Version : Sling swivel

gemmer
07-22-2016, 09:13 AM
I have an original 1842 that has the rear sling swivel broken off at the base. I want to replace it. How does one remove it from the trigger guard?

John Holland
07-22-2016, 09:44 AM
The swivel is secured by an iron pin which is lightly peened on both sides of the swivel and polished smooth. You can grind one side of the swivel with a Dremel tool and simply drive the pin out with a small drift. I would also recommend Kroil and heat to free it up before you attempt to drive it out as the pin is most assuredly rusted fast. within the swivel.

gemmer
07-25-2016, 08:39 AM
The swivel is secured by an iron pin which is lightly peened on both sides of the swivel and polished smooth. You can grind one side of the swivel with a Dremel tool and simply drive the pin out with a small drift. I would also recommend Kroil and heat to free it up before you attempt to drive it out as the pin is most assuredly rusted fast. within the swivel.

Thanks John. What do I use to secure the new swivel? S&S, Lodgewood etc. have the swivel but no pin.

Rebel Dave
07-25-2016, 03:51 PM
You can make one from a nail. Thats what I do.

Rebel Dave

John Holland
07-25-2016, 06:40 PM
Gemmer - Yes, Dave is correct. Find a soft iron nail of about the correct diameter and cut a section out of the body just long enough to peen both sides, polish it off and you will be done. Don't try to use anything designed for nail guns, etc.

bobanderson
07-26-2016, 07:04 AM
Don't try to use anything designed for nail guns, etc.

That would turn your skirmish gun into a high capacity assault musket.

plymouthairrifle
07-26-2016, 10:53 PM
You can make one from a nail. Thats what I do.

Rebel Dave
A clothes hanger also is very soft and makes a good pin. I have used nails and hangers many times.

gemmer
07-27-2016, 10:00 AM
Thanks to all for the feedback.

Eggman
07-27-2016, 12:20 PM
Somebody needed to add - if you go to the museum for the wire coat hanger and get caught, there's a good chance you''ll get 30 days for the pilfering.