PDA

View Full Version : Band spring mortise

ms3635v
07-21-2016, 07:51 AM
I am looking to the members of the forum for some thoughts and help on cutting band spring mortises. I am in the process of finishing a Richmond carbine project and I would like to hear some ideas from the forum about the best way to cut band spring mortises. All thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Joe Plakis, 9575V
07-21-2016, 08:13 AM
Mike,
I traced the mortise, and then used a dremel tool to cut the mortise leaving enough wood to be cleaned up with a super sharp razor blade. The Dremel tool is good for cutting the depth needed for the spring. I have also used an old hand drill to remove the wood needed as well and then cleaned it up, the hand drill is more easily controlled then the dremel.
The old method is with a super sharp chisel, but finding one that skinny is always an issue.

Best of luck!

JP

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
07-21-2016, 08:39 AM
First drill the hole where it needs to be, then insert the band and trace around where it needs to go. Then slice the wood with an X-acto knife. To gouge out the wood, I use these: http://www.ellenwoodarts.com/#!product-page/ck2h/fd6491e8-711e-ddaf-5d58-4488e8d7c419 Yeah, the tools are pricey, but you're worth it...

bobanderson
07-21-2016, 08:56 AM
I use a milling machine.

"A man's got to know his limitations."

Curt
07-21-2016, 09:29 AM
Hallo!

I trace the outline of the band spring with an X-Acto knife held at a 45 degree angle so that it makes a cut slightly under the edge of the spring (to avoid a too wide mortise).

I made a number of band spring chisels by buying several mini or tiny "pocket" screwdrivers they sell with the pocket clip. A second or two on the grinding wheel or with a sharp file reshapes the screw blade to just under the width of the band spring lines.

Then I simply make X-Acto cuts, and use the "chisel" to cut out between the lines.... going lower an lower using the band spring as a "depth gauge."

When inletted to the proper depth, I drill the band spring pin hole checking the alignment of the hole-to-be in the plane or line of three dimensions so that I do not drill crooked or at an angle through the stock.

Curt

ms3635v
07-21-2016, 01:29 PM
Thank you to all. All great suggestions...now to actually start this part of the project.

rflmskt
07-21-2016, 02:07 PM
I echo Curt's post. I drilled the hole for the band spring pin, inserted the band spring and traced around it, removed the spring and carefully cut along the traced lines with an Exacto knife. I had an old Craftsman screwdriver that I ground down to a wedge shape and then ground to the correct width to use as a chisel for removing the wood between the cuts.

John Dam
1st MI Vol. Inantry

gemmer
07-21-2016, 06:54 PM
I am looking to the members of the forum for some thoughts and help on cutting band spring mortises. I am in the process of finishing a Richmond carbine project and I would like to hear some ideas from the forum about the best way to cut band spring mortises. All thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

I have a tool that came with a forestock splice piece that is the correct width for the spring mortise. PM me if you would like to borrow it.

Gary B
07-22-2016, 02:32 PM
I bought a narrow chisel from Dunlap years ago, very hard & sharp, bent just for this purpose. I recommend to anyone cutting on band springs.
cut the sides with a wide chisel or exacto knife then cut out the depth with the chisel.
Hope this helps,
Gary B.

John Bly
07-25-2016, 03:02 PM
Do it the way Curt says. There is seldom anything so screwed up that you can't make it worse with a Dremel tool!