PDA

View Full Version : Armi Sport Sharps Carbine

jim mccrystal
11-05-2009, 03:15 AM
I need some help please, I purchased a Armi Sport Carbine, got the Rapine ring tail mold and followed the suggested loads I saw posted here. The first problem is that after only 2 rounds the block froze in place and I had to pour water into receiver to get the block to the open position. I cleaned up the block and checked the gas seal all looked ok. I then got off 3 rounds and the block froze once again, at that point I quit fot the day.
In additon to this problem what do those who shoot these carbines do to add height to front sight.
The load I used was 40grs 3F with paper tubes.

Greg Ogdan, 11444
11-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Jim,
Grease the snot out of EVERYTHING. By that, I mean get some high temp, high pressure wheel bearing grease and fill the space between the pressure plate and the breech block, the face of the pressure plate and all the surfaces of the inside of the breedh block cavity in the receiver. Also, don't forget to lube the wear points on the lever linkage. This is what I do and I can pretty much shoot forever, or at least for a whole Skirmish. Ies, I know it's messy to clesn, but it works.

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
11-05-2009, 10:54 AM
On a lot of new repro Sharps the gas check is frozen into the breech block. As per Sharps design the gas check plate and the chamber sleeve are supposed to be free to move against each other when the charge goes off. If they don't or can't then you will have leakage and it will lock up. When I shot Sharps rifles and carbines both repro and original I paid special attention to cleaning these areas, removing the plate and sleeve, and being sure the plate and sleeve were free to move.

The high temp grease is sound advice. I used Plastilube that is used by a lot of the high power shooters on the gas operated rifles.

Also be sure to clean the flash channel in the block. Most have a clean out screw on the left side of the block that allows access clear through to the nipple. The Sharps has three right angle turns in the long flash channel.

I shot Sharps for a long time and did well with them but finally got lazy and got tired of cleaning them so I went to a Smith.

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's Battery

Southron Sr.
11-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Go to the archives of this BB and look up my posts on the "O" Ring modification I had done to my Pedersoli Sharps several years ago. It cost me somewhere around $20.00 (I forget exactly what I paid) for a local machine shop to do it. Now the gun will shoot 75 plus rounds before the block starts to get difficult to move.

Charlie Hahn
11-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi Jim,

If you would like, I provide the service of modifing the barrel and breech block with a preloaded o-ring sleeve arrangement, and can also make you a front sight if you like.

If you would like give me a call at 410-208-4736 as we can go over the changes and fees to see if this is something you would like to consider. I can also adjust the chamber length to work with paper cartridges I make and sell.

Charlie Hahn

jim mccrystal
11-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks to all for the info.
I have an original '63 rifle and never had any problems like what I have run into with this repro. Not sure how to remove the chamber sleeve but the gas plate does come out of the block without any problem. The sleeve in my '63 is frozen in place but after the first shot you don't get any gas leak so I never paid it any mind and it never gets hard to open.
I will follw the advice given and give it another try. I currently use a Smith and now have much more respect for those who shoot the Sharps carbines.

B. Miller
11-05-2009, 07:38 PM
I had a Armi Sport Sharps carbine and the breech plate would not move. Sparks would actually fly out of the back. I sent it back to Taylors and they got it working. The Carbine still got stiff when shooting. I pulled out the plate and sanded it down a little then put a neoprene "O" Ring behind the plate. This corrected all of my problems. When you first put the block back in after setting the "O" ring you will need something to push in on the plate with to close the chamber. The chamber sleeve and back of the breech plate also need to be greased.
My load for the carbine was 35 gr. fffG and 35 gr. cornmeal filler in rolled paper cartridges. I used the larger of the two Rapine ringtail bullets. This carbine shot very well, I just got tired of making paper cartridges for it.
Hope this helps,
Bruce

Jim Brake 3587
11-10-2009, 05:52 PM
I am in need of a Sharps Carbine if you intend to give up on it let me know and i'll buy it from you....jmsbrake@yahoo.com....Thanks