PDA

View Full Version : wesson rifles which ones are legal for single shot

hp gregory, 9128
11-03-2009, 07:30 AM
just wondering which wesson rifles are legal for single shot comp. the ones i see for sale are a lot cheaper than ballards and sharps. thought these guns might be a good way for someone to get involved in that game.
hp gregory

Edwin Flint, 8427
11-30-2009, 06:44 PM
HP

I figured someone else might answer your question but since no one did, I will give it a shot.

I investigated this several years ago when I bought one with the intention of shooting it. Could not at that point figure a way to shoot the gun without destructive alteration of a collectable or spending a bunch of money for custom replacement parts. Sold it and since wish I didn't as John Holland has a way to shoot it without modification of the gun.

There are apparently three types that meet N-SSA guidelines. They are all the military carbines with a 24" barrel, 44 rimfire, and iron frames. There are two "First Type" that qualify. One made in Worchester, MASS. carries the Wesson name and patent information. The other is one made in Ohio marked B. Kittredge & Co./Cincinnati, O. The "Second Type" is the same except the slotted link is moved from the right to the left side.

Everything else appears to be post war types or pre-war civilian sporter models, including a brass framed one that saw no military service.

hp gregory, 9128
12-01-2009, 06:50 AM
thank you sir for taking your time to do this. your info is very helpful. hp

John Holland
12-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Ed...Thanks for replying to HP's request. I'll ad a bit more, and some clarifications. I hope you don't mind.

Again, excerpted from one of my articles in the Skirmish Line:
Small Arms Committee Column, Skirmish Line Vol. 52, Issue 4, 2007

Question 2: Which Wesson can I use?

Answer: You want the Military Model Wesson Carbine, known as the “Type 1”. This Wesson Carbine is chambered in .44 Wesson, has no extractor, and with a travel stop link on the right hand side of the barrel. You can find photographs and the history of this Carbine in “Carbines of the Civil War” by John D. McAulay, pages 119 – 122. Wesson developed and added an extractor to the left hand side of the barrel before the end of the Civil War. The Small Arms Committee will accept this version as a “Transitional Model.”

All Wessons were actually manufactured in Worchester, Mass. By Frank Wesson. The ones Ed is referring to as being marked "B. Kittredge & Co." are arms that were purchased from Wesson by Kittredge & Co. and then counter-stamped with their own markings. It was a marketing tool to get their name seen in as many places as possible. The Kittredge marked arms were sold to various states in the mid-west who were having trouble acquiring arms through the normal channels.

Beware of the 1872 Model Wesson which has a larger frame and heavier barrel. We don’t allow that model in any configuration.

JDH
SAC