PDA

View Full Version : Shaw Trashcan

fullertc
06-20-2016, 09:01 PM
I see that Moose Moulds now offers the Shaw Trashcan. Who designed it and why? Thank you.

Wayne Shaw, 1985V
06-21-2016, 06:53 AM
Tom Well back in the mid 70's I was using the 575602 lyman bullet and loved it. Then had a mold failure, to many bullets to little care. Since Lyman had stopped making the mold I was faced with finding another style that would do the job. I found that the Challenger mold would work if I cut the top off and moved the base plug up. This gave me a bullet with a thin base skirt and a LOT of bearing surface and a good flat nose. (remember we shot a lot of steaks back then.) Fast forward several molds later and several shooters later I had exhausted my supply of doner molds. When Moose Molds opened for business I asked Moose if he could make me one and he agreeded. The result is the Shaw Trashcan! My son Erick has shot this style bullet for for many years and is now using the new Moose bullet along with several members of our team. The best mid weight/ high bearing surface bullet out there! Many thanks to MOOSE Molds for the great work and taking a chance on the Idea. Wayne Shaw Harlans Light Cav 1985V

fullertc
06-21-2016, 07:10 AM
Wayne, Back when I had a PH Enfield carbine, I borrowed that mould and it shot the best. My friend needed it back (some friend...) so the next best bullet was the Lee Real. My bore was .579. Sold the carbine but later found a 602 and bought it for my Miss. It didn't shoot any better than what I had at the time so I sold it on the BB. Maybe you bought it! Anyway, I began shooting the Lee Trashcan. It shot very well but because of the lube, it was way too slow to load for team shooting. I was thinking that if the Lee Trashcan could be modified to have the grease grooves of that 602, it would be ideal. The rest is history. I will sell some stuff I have and get one. How does it shoot at 100 yds? What grain and powder charge do you use? Thank you. Tom

Kyle G.
06-24-2016, 02:36 AM
Hmm, I just picked up a challenger mold not too long ago at a gun show. Second time casting with it I made a trashcan by accident as I didn't fill the mold all the way. I still need to work up the load some more, but allowing for some deviance for an original not very consistent bore the bullet has a 3-4 inch group at 100 yards. Its a big difference as my .583 bore Colt Special Contract rifle did not shoot worth a dam with the Lyman 575213 bullet I was using previously, even after lapping the mold to size. Its a good bullet.

These are the balls the Challenger mold drops, sized to .582.
http://www.fototime.com/4F4025A728343BB/standard.jpg

R. McAuley 3014V
06-24-2016, 01:24 PM
Wayne,

At the Spring National 1977, did you by chance make a trade on a Model 1860 light cavalry sabre for a Navy Arms Mississippi and some gear? I ask here because included that deal (I was the other party) was a Lyman 575602 mold that had about 1/8" milled off the top of the mold, such that it cast a super accurate 350-gr flat-nose wadcutter bullet. Although the Mississippi was afterwards sold, my team had to retire that bullet mold because it was worn out with everyone on the team using that same bullet mold. But shooting it from any of the Euroarms Enfields, it stacked the bullets one on top of the other. With my EOA Enfield Carbine, it would shoot not one ragged hole but one hole with multiple crescents. The bullets were almost all in the same hole. I still have that mold, or rather half of it, and the base plug.

bobanderson
06-25-2016, 07:02 AM
I modified the base pin on the 575602 to raise the weight from under 400 grains to about 420. It turned that mould into a great bullet in my friend's 3 band Springfield. It worked so well for him, I made another one for me.
In it's original form, it wouldn't group well at 100 yards. With that little extra weight, it became a good all around bullet, although the grease grooves are way too shallow for long shot strings.

R. McAuley 3014V
06-26-2016, 12:53 AM
I also modified the base pin but not to add weight but thickened the skirt to reduce the bullet's tendency to blow skirts. I think some of the later molds had a different base design from the original deep hollow base that came with my mold and with the combination of the deep hollow base and thin skirt (side wall thickness), we had to be very careful in culling the bullets for casting flaws. Once the older mold began to show signs of fatigue, I had another mold modified as a backup as is pictured below. One reason I attributed to this bullet's success was because the centroid occurred just below the apex of the hollow base rather than inside the bullet like other designs. In this way, even if you were unlucky enough to have any air bubbles in your casting, most flaws had no effect on the bullet's internal ballistics, unlike some other bullets that the centroid internalized within the lead. I would still be using this bullet but it just does not perform well in my M1855 Rifle.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii305/rmac1023/DSCF1747_zpsqrso4w97.jpg