PDA

View Full Version : Merrill carbine/rifle.

R. C. Hubbard Jr
06-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Has anyone here shot a merrill rifle or carbine? I would like to know how much gas they leak and how badly do they foul?

Thanks

Bob

S.Sullivan
06-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Have shot a carbine, perhaps 20 rounds, in a range situation, cleaning as I went. The face of the "bolt" is all important, it must be clean and unpitted. It is copper, and I imagine it could be replaced with some machinist work, but it must be tight in the breech. I have seen some Merrills without any copper face on the bolt for sale, shooting one of them could be painful. The first shot leaked a very small amount of something out of the breech, but as the weapon was shot it got tight and worked well. I used some rounds that I had made up for my Shiloh Sharps.
Steve Sullivan

Bob F, 1st NJLA
06-15-2008, 04:10 PM
I have a 2nd mdl. Merrill carbine with which I have fired several hundred rds.. Although the outside has some pitting, the chamber and breechplug do not show a lot of use. It doesn't leak a bit. It is tighter than any Sharps I have ever owned. I am using a .545 bullet about 400 grains and 30 grs. fffg. The bullet is a bit heavy but it's the only mold I have in this diameter and it shoots accurately. I load it with loose powder and ball and I would never use it as a skirmish gun because making cartridges for it would be a full time job.

Bob Fisch

William H. Shuey
06-16-2008, 06:13 PM
One of the "Plank owner" members of the First Maine, Tony Butler, had a Merrill Carbine he would shoot individuals with. After about 12 rounds he would have to pour cleaning solution down the barrel to get it to loosen up. Fouling was a problem like a Sharps. That said, it was a really pretty piece of weaponry and shot some nice targets if he held he tight.

Bill Shuey

Southron Sr.
06-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Tony Beck shot on our carbine team and he used a Merrill Carbine. He did some fairly good shooting with it and always said he was happy with it.

Joe Bilby's book on Civil War arms contains information about the Merrill Carbine and is well worth the price.

Walt Magee
06-17-2008, 10:22 PM
I sent you a PM regarding someone who has shot a Merril for years in competition I hope you contact him.

Walt

Oregon Bill
09-21-2008, 02:22 AM
I had one that I shot a few dozen times, and I really enjoyed the carbine. No leakage at all from mine. Very deep rifling.

R Filbert
12-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Also owned a merill 1st mod.To cut down on fouling I made a leather washer witch was saturated in lube and fixed it in the grove on the breach plug -shot good and stayed clean with minimal fouling .Used nitrated paper towells for cartriges. wraped around a 1/2 in. dowell and folded like a coin wrapper at the end afixed with a dab of carpeters wood glue.