PDA

View Full Version : Breech Plug Stampings for 1863 Springfield?

milsurpshooter
06-09-2016, 10:24 PM
I recently picked up an 1863 Springfield (Type I). Below are a few photos of the rear face of the breech plug. Can anyone give me info on the stampings?
Thanks in advance!
- milsurpshooter

Muley Gil
06-10-2016, 07:28 AM
Welcome! I believe those are various inspector's markings.

milsurpshooter
06-10-2016, 08:03 AM
The "star" on the barrel and "B" on barrel and tang were of particular interest. Just wondering if they were some sort of final inspector stamp/proof at Sprinfield Armory.

mike davenport
06-11-2016, 12:45 AM
I had read that that stamp indicated re manufacturer in richmond. see the information below:
"Richmonds" started out as Virginia assembled RM's made from Harpers Ferry parts. When the Confederacy took over and moved the HF equipment to Richmond, they assembled parts and phased in their own manufacturing on the HR RM machinery. NUG, Richmonds will carry the HF proof system of "V," "P," and "Eaglehead" initially just using the same HF stamps.
However, Richmond also used a "third proof' in the form of a five point star on refurbishes.

It is my unproven theory, that the third proof or star indicated a "rebuild" extensive enough to require a new inspection. And in the case of RM's refurbished into "Short Rifles" (think of the so-called "Artillery Rifles" which are not technically rifles because they are just shortened thin RM barrels and not heavy true rifle barrels), when the barrels were sawed-off from 40 down to 36 they required a final inspection before going into service.
That seems to hold true, as the rebuilt mixed part "Short Rifles" carry the star proof (and sometimes no "V. P. Eaglehead Federal or CS HF use stamps). But, there is a surviving parts gun that is an M1861 just with a 1862 dated Richmond lock carrying the addition of the star and inspector's letter stamp.